Update: COP 21 Paris Climate talks to go ahead

In view of recent tragic events in Paris, representatives of the 196 countries including many heads of state will be meeting, as planned from the 30th of November to 11th of December in order to come to a new climate change agreement. A report published by The Green Alliance Trust outlines the importance of the summit. It includes ambitious action before 2020, as well as a long term approach. A strong legal framework with clear rules and public finance for adaptation to a world with lower carbon emissions and more sustainable development. However, the resilience only goes so far, 350.org, a large environmental group announced that it was forced to cancel large public demonstrations to coincide with the summit.

Image: Ron Mader

Image: Ron Mader

An important question to ask: Is terror an unexpected and potentially credible threat to climate action? Although a large public demonstration will not happen this time, the emerging awareness and urgency surrounding the issue of climate change is apparent. With the United States and China, the worlds two biggest polluters pushing for harsh cuts, India and the United Kingdom willing to phase out coal-fired plants, there is growing global consensus. The guardian reports 2,173 events organised in more than 150 countries around the world. A climate march in London, New Delhi, all over Australia, the United states and Europe on the 29th of November. A hopeful outlook for action so get involved where you can! Check out avaaz.org, 350.org and green-alliance.org.uk.