YorActive Trail plans released

The exercise trail across campus aims to increase students’ participation in sport

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Plans for the University of York’s YorActive Trail have been released. The route will run from the YUSU building to the York Sport Village and is intended to increase student participation in sports. It encompasses various pieces of gym equipment, exercise aides and various other features.

Grace Clark, York Sport Union President said: “My first and primary objective this year is to increase participation. Imagine, if we had an active trail stretching from Heslington East to Heslington West and out into the community with various ‘gym’ type equipment along the route. What a fantastic message this would send to encourage people to jog, run, bike or simply walk along the trail and ultimately get active in any way possible. This is what I want to achieve with the YorActive Trail.

“The route will incorporate various visible landmarks of the university campus starting at the YUSU building, past the new athletics track, 22 acres, Halifax College, Heslington village, Langwith, Goodricke and Constantine College, the Glasshouse and culminating at the York Sport Village, thus promoting the university’s fantastic facilities.

“This project is something I am extremely passionate about and collating feedback from various individuals across the university, it is a project that has generated a lot of enthusiasm, excitement and positivity.”

1. 20 Nov ’15 at 11:45 am

Good idea, but

There is something quite amusing about the prospect of an activity trail that joins together two gyms.