Sports Shorts

BDLA announcement

The successful applicants for this year’s BUCS Deloitte Leadership Academy (BDLA) have been announced, which includes 14 students from the University of York. The programme has six courses, with dates rang- ing from November 2015 to February 2016, that are run at locations across the country. The programme covers diversity and leadership, and is designed to provide both a theoretical and practical insight into high quality leadership, with  the immediate aim to improve the sport offering at their university.

Staying on track

As part of YUSU’s ‘Staying on Track’ programme, the Union ran a ‘Play’ week that extolled the benefits of getting active as a way of gaining the tools to overcome obstacles while at university. Activities include Rave Aerobics, Yoga and Boogie Bounce. York Sport President Grace Clarke also released seven profiles of people who testified to the beneficial effect that exercise had on their health in the broadest sense. These were Women’s Rugby president Ruth Whitehead, Head of York Sport Keith Morris, Tess Corina, Cycling president Ashley Marsh, Harry Barber and Grace herself.

Police information appeal

The police have sent out an appeal for information after a man from York was knocked out at the York Sport Village. As reported by York Press, a 28-year-old male was punched in the face during a 5-a-side match on the Hes East campus at around 9:20pm on 29 September. The assailant is described as a white male wearing a Liverpool football kit, in his early to mid-twenties, with short hair and a stocky to big build. Anyone with pertinent information has been asked to contact North Yorkshire Police.