Recipe: Almond Hot Chocolate

Emily Mcdonnell Thomas switches up the classic hot chocolate, perfect to indulge in as winters sets in

Image: Stephanie Bond

Image: Stephanie Bond

After a long day of lectures and seminars, all I wanted to come home to was a steaming mug of hot chocolate, so after mixing a few things together I came up with a reworking of the classic hot cocoa which is the perfect comfort at this time of year. By swapping normal milk for almond milk, with a sprinkling of cinnamon, this hug in a mug will be sure to lift those winter blues.

Ingredients: (Serves 1)

• 1 cup of almond milk (this is easy to come by; most supermarkets will stock it)
  • 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of almond butter (optional)
  1. On medium heat, begin to warm a small saucepan. Meanwhile, measure out a mug full of the almond milk and place this in into the saucepan.
  2. Next, place as many tablespoons of chocolate powder as is needed to fill about a quarter of your mug. For me, this was about three heaped tablespoons. Add this to the warming almond milk and gently stir to get rid of any lumps.
  3. While this is warming, put a teaspoon of cinnamon in to mix with the hot chocolate, and for extra crunch, one teaspoon of almond butter that will melt and dissolve into the chocolate, although if you dont have this you can leave it out.
  4. Let the cinnamon and the almond butter blend with the rest of the hot chocolate for another 5 mins and revel in the luxurious smell as it diffuses around your kitchen. Then serve piping hot with your favourite accompaniments. 

1. 19 Nov ’15 at 6:42 pm

Philip Thomas

This sounds delicious!