Futsal struggle in second fixture

York Seconds
1
9
Stirling Firsts
Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

AS THE weather continues to get worse futsal reaps the rewards of being an indoor sport with all the fun of its outdoors counterpart football. Safe from the mud and slippy conditions of 22 Acres or the freezing cold and withering wind of the 3G, the ladies of the women’s seconds team gathered in the tent for their second BUCS fixture of the season against Stirling.
They got off to a strong start, just missing a goal in the opening minutes of the game only to score straight in the right hand corner of the net a second later. Stirling seemed disorientated and taken aback, and as such their attempts to tackle were messy, and seemingly York really did have the home advantage.
This however ultimately did not ring true. It only took a matter of minutes for the opposition to begin to assert themselves in their new surroundings and overall they won 1-9. Although some excellent passes were made by Anna Roach from York as she raced forward, nothing came of it and the opposition were quick to reverse her efforts.
Three minutes in and Stirling equalised. From this point forth York failed to establish a clear strategy of passing in defence and sadly this saw the beginning of the end as the team began to fall apart.The seconds team were only recently established, being founded at the start of this term.

Therefore it’s unreasonable to expect a season of roaring successes from them. But that being said a lot of work will be needed to ensure that futsal continues to rise and more importantly improve. For example, as the game progressed they failed to regain possession of the ball till after a second Stirling goal seven minutes in.
However, there is definitely an abundance of ability in the team; Lia Ignatowicz made a strong tackle that returned the ball to home possession and captain Marie Leverson ensured that she had enough support.
In the following minutes Holly Knott added to the string of successful passes made. Yet this was not enough and no progress in terms of scoring was made, instead there were several missed shots and opportunities when approaching the goal.
At the other end of the pitch an excellent save was  made by the York goalkeeper – a very slight opening movement of her foot kicked it clearly away. But this was of course only a fleeting moment of joy, and it was shortly followed by another Stirling success 13 minutes in.
Going in to the second half it became very clear that the York side could not technically equal the Stirling seconds.  They continued to score goal after goal. The aggression of the opposition steadily grew with their increasing numerical advantage. For example, there was a notable kick made which bounced off the ceiling and outside of the pitch’s safety net.

That being said, what appears to be key with this team is that there are small signs of future success despite the very disparate result of this match. Speaking to captain Leverson afterwards, she seemed most hopeful for the expansion of futsal at York, and sees this season fundamentally as a starting point. In light of the loss, she was not disheartened, but instead proud that her team had tried their best throughout the game.