Anti-street drinking order in York district

Fines of up to £100 will be enforced by the local authority and North Yorkshire Police

Image: Paul Townsend

Image: Paul Townsend

The City of York council has approved a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) in The Groves residential area of York, to tackle street drinking.

The decision was made at a City of York Council Executive decision session on Monday 16 November. The maximum fine for an infringement was set at £100, which may be reduced to £75 if paid within the first 14 days.

The Groves district of York is defined as: “covering the area just north of the city centre between Huntington Road and Haxby Road. The district is near York Hospital and the city ring road.”

The PSPO was considered because of a petition received by the council, which had 633 signatures and said: “We the undersigned do call on City of York Council to investigate the increase of street drinkers’ use of the area surrounding Lowther Street, Penley Grove Street and Townend Street. We also call on the council to designate these streets as ‘no alcohol areas’ for the benefit of the majority of residents.”

A survey was conducted with local people, North Yorkshire Police and the office of the Police and Crime Commissioner which was in favour of introducing a PSPO.

Councillor David Carr, Executive Member for Housing and Safer Neighbourhoods at City of York Council, said: “Having worked with and consulted with local residents and enforcement agencies in the city, there has been considerable support for a PSPO. I’m pleased that we are able to add another tool to help tackle the blight of anti-social behaviour – street drinking in particular – which I hope will improve the quality of life for those in The Groves.”

The PSPO will replace existing previous designated public place orders that restrict alcohol consumption and will last for up to three years, with the potential to be extended for up to another three years.