Game Review: Wait – Extended

ventures into the unknown with this myster horror game

Image: rest.less Games

Image: rest.less Games

Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Platform: PC
Release Date: 29 October 2015
Developer: rest.less Games

Wait – Extended is a psychological mystery horror game. It aims to provide a lasting horror experience that doesn’t rely on jump scares but the fear of the unknowable.

The game claims to be influenced by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, however it doesn’t so much show its influences on its sleeves so much as it wears a “I Love Innsmouth” shirt and a Cthulhu facemask. You follow the experiences of a man who every night experiences strange horrors that force him towards some unforeseen goal. The world becoming more and more warped as the numbers burnt into his wall tick down.

Wait is made in the RPG Maker engine, which may immediately put you off but if To the Moon and Stray Cat Crossing teach us anything it’s that we shouldn’t judge a game because it was made in RPG Maker. However, almost as a consequence of this, the game play itself is not very engrossing. Move around and explore to pick up items to rub on other items to advance the story.

The story itself is pretty solid. I’ll avoid spoilers but at first it seems fairly run of the mill Lovecraft horror. Strange things happen that nobody else seems to notice, there are hints at all-powerful beings and grotesque creatures chasing, you but always just out of sight. It’s only when you finish the game for the first time that a lot of it is revealed and you see the depth hidden within it. There are five different chapters, where each one is similar but distinctly different alongside side stories and plenty of hidden secrets. It’s also got a fantastic soundtrack that fits perfectly with the unfolding mystery.

The game does fall down however when it comes to the protagonist. He seems far too complacent, and it breaks the feel of the game. Pushing through to the later playthroughs can prove a lot of effort if you’ve not been immediately grabbed by the story and in all honestly a lot of the story feels somewhat generic.

Wait did not leave me with anything in the way of a lasting sense of dread or fear, but then again neither did any of Lovecraft’s works. Perhaps its best not to take the relatively low score that I have given this game at face value. This is a game that is well made and interesting but rather esoteric in its appeal. For some people I think this is exactly what they’re looking for, and if you love a bit of psychological horror then you should absolutely give this game a look. For most people however I’d say that this game is a safe pass. I should say that the review key for this product was provided by the developer free of charge.