YUSU job accreditation scheme revealed

Image. Suzy Harrison/University of York

Image. Suzy Harrison/University of York

YUSU WELFARE representative Scott Dawson is planning to implement a new student employment accreditation scheme for campus jobs designed to create a ‘gold standard’ for student employment. The policy would involve potential employers having to pass several criteria before YUSU would recommend them as a good employer for the student body.

As of yet the policy is still under development but example criteria provided to Nouse by Scott Dawson include a guarantee to pay the student living wage, feedback during the recruitment process and a personal training development plan. The scheme would be highly advantageous for students, as YUSU would effectively be endorsing employers meaning potential job-seekers would have confidence in the quality of the employment.

We want to make sure that students are provided and guaranteed both good quality and high standards of work which will benefit them

We want to make sure that students are provided and guaranteed both good quality and high standards of work which will benefit themThe plan would be to implement this system for YUSU jobs first and then expand across the University. The ultimate aim would be to apply the scheme to the wider city of York with local employers in town getting involved. As an incentive for employers taking part in this system, YUSU would provide free advertising on YUSU’s website, with the aim of the policy being the creation of a ‘professional, certified student job-shop’ meaning employers would have access to advertise positions to students directly.

Scott Dawson believes this scheme would greatly assist students as available employment opportunities would be located on one website that students can trust to provide quality employment. Furthermore, it would reduce the time taken for job searches making it easier for those looking for employment. Scott Dawson, discussing his policy, said that “We want to make sure that students are provided and guaranteed both good quality and high standards of work which will benefit them both financially and personally.”

However, it is unclear at the moment how many employers would be willing to get involved in this scheme. As the proposals currently stand, the scheme would involve companies having to undergo changes in their recruitment processes, which would take time. As such, some companies might decide that the scheme is not worth the extra time needed to comply with YUSU’s criteria. The policy will be discussed for YUSU jobs next term, so a clearer picture of the policy’s reception is likely to emerge in the New Year.

Scott Dawson does appear to be on trend with students on the subject of employment. With student loans often failing to cover the costs associated with university, part time employment has become a necessity for many. Statistics compiled by Endsleigh last year showed that 59 per cent of students are working part time to fund their living expenses, with one in seven in full time employment.

Despite the policy being in its infancy, it would be a useful tool for students wanting to gain employment both on campus and in the wider city of York.