York student wins Intern of the Year

Student Internship Bureau announces ‘Intern of the Year’ after summer scheme

THE UNIVERSITY of York’s Student Internship Bureau (SIB), based in careers, has named Lucio Longo as ‘Intern of the Year,’ following the end of its annual summer scheme.

Four students were shortlisted by representatives from Santander Universities and Make it York for significantly impacting their host organisations and displaying personal development.

The other shortlisted students include: Jenny Bunga for developing a market-testing model for SACCADE, a Scottish company in the health sector; Sarah Birkett who innovated HR practice in York CVS; and Alex Hall who built a model railway to display the future benefits of construction works at Kings Cross station for Network Rail.

Longo worked on a project looking into consumer attitudes to the use of mobile phones to make credit card payments for TSYS, a Fulford based company that specialises in payments processing.

He said: “The prize of best intern of the year means a great deal to me. It made me appreciate that hard work and studying pays off. At times, the summer period was not very easy for me to manage as I had to work on two different projects: my master’s dissertation in Global Marketing and my internship project.”

The York SIB sources paid internships for University of York students and graduates that are primarily with local organisations such as Network Rail, the City of York Council, and York Theatre Royal, or with departments on campus.

The assistant director of careers at The University of York, Andrew Ferguson said: “Student interns bring immediate and tangible benefits to local businesses engaging with the University. The year on year growth in the number and quality of the projects involved really illustrates the value that the business, students and the University put into the scheme.”

As of summer 2015, The York SIB has provided over 400 internships. Most internships are in the summer

Image credit: York SIB

Image credit: York SIB

and info on future opportunities can be found through the careers website (www.york.ac.uk/careers) or the SIB Facebook (www.facebook.com/UniversityofYorkSIB).