URY succeeds at Student Awards

URY and their radio hosts win five awards at Student Radio Awards 2015

Image: curtis.kennington

Image: curtis.kennington

University Radio York (URY) won two station and three individual prizes at the Student Radio Awards 2015 last Thursday.

The awards, which first occured in 1995 and are sponsored by BBC Radio 1 and Global, aim to celebrate the success stories of student radio throughout the UK. Various celebrity presenters have made appearances at the event in the past, including Nick Grimshaw and Scott Mills.

The society won five out of the six awards for which they were nominated, on top of the four nominations they received for the I Love Student Radio Awards earlier this year. This makes URY one of the most awarded student radio stations in the country. For their coverage of the YUSU Elections Results Night and design of unique Roses Mini OB Kits, URY won the Silver Awards for Best Live Event or Outside Broadcast and Best Technical Achievement respectively. Alex Light, URY’s station manager for 2014/15, told Nouse “the results were amazing and it was brilliant to see all the hard work put in across the station rewarded, from those who had been there for years to our newcomers.”

Individual nominee Rebecca Saw won the Gold Award for Best Newcomer, and Harry Whittaker took the top prize for Best Entertainment Programming and Bronze for Best Male Presenter. Light added, “it makes me really proud to have been Station Manager this year and to be able to say I played a tiny part in the successes.”

It was an improvement on he 2014 awards, where URY were shortlisted for just one. The station held elections for their 2015/16 team last night as they set their sights on another successful year of student media.