Success for York in Times league table for Arts and Humanities

University of York places 25th in world Arts and Humanities league table

Image credit: Jonathan Butten

Image credit: Jonathan Butten

The University of York is celebrating success in the international league tables, where the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2015-16 have placed York an impressive 25th for Arts and Humanities.

The rankings assess teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. Upon hearing the release of the league tables Professor Mark Ormrod, Dean of Faculty of Arts and humanities, said: “The THE ranking is fitting recognition of York’s outstanding achievement in producing world-leading Arts and Humanities research.”

The league table results have not been York’s only success story in the past few weeks. York has been placed in the top ten for Research Council income according to THE figures.

According to the figures, York had a total research income of £46,097,047 for 2014-15, an increase of 81 per cent in comparison to the previous year. This placed York 10th in the UK for research income with the increase largely down to its leadership of one of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s £120 million Quantum Technology Hubs.

In terms of grant application success rate, the University was placed 5th scoring 35 per cent. Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research Professor Deborah Smith said: “Our research council awards improved considerably in 2014/15 due to several factors: increased success rates across three of the councils; success in several larger focused funding calls (notably, EPSRC Quantum, BBSRC Industrial Biotechnology); strong AHRC performance; a drive to increase cross-institutional applications and strengthening of internal monitoring and peer-review processes.”

A first year History student commented on the ranking: “It is an impressive step for the University as it was not included in the rankings in 2013 and it is a credit to the staff. It is reassuring that York is being recognised for its excellence.”