Nouse is shortlisted for Student Publication of the Year 2015 award

Nouse and two of its writers shortlisted in national awards

e30af310 77cf 4c9d 9f0f c285a01fecc1 2060×1236

The York Vision team won the award in 2014.

Nouse has been shortlisted for Student Publication of the Year in the Guardian Student Media Awards. The nominations are judged on the publication that gives the appropriate balance of news, features and ideas-driven editorial.

Chris Owen, Nouse Editor, has been nominated for critic of the year, as well as Alfie Packham. Edward Greenwood from the University has also been nominated for Student Opinion Writer of the Year. Owen commented: “I’m still in a fair amount of shock to have been shortlisted for Critic of the Year in recognition of my half-baked ramblings about music written, more often than not, on a demented whim at 1am.

“It’s a privilege to even have been shortlisted, and even more so to appear on the list alongside my extremely talented friend and Nouse legend Alfie Packham. Rumour has it he is the odds-on favourite. You heard it here first.”

For 36 years the awards have been recognising and celebrating quality student journalism from across the country including awards for editors, writers, photographers, and designers.

The prize for the winners of the awards is a two week work experience placement with editorial at the Guardian, in addition to a place on the Guardian’s journalism masterclass. Runners up in the awards will get one week of work experience with Guardian editorial.

Judges of the awards include Katharine Viner, editor-in-chief of Guardian News and Media, Lisa Markwell, editor of the Independent on Sunday, Emma Tucker, Deputy Editor of the Times, Sarah Sands, editor of the London Evening Standard, among others.

At the 2014 awards York Vision won student publication of the year, with Nouse as runner up. Patrick Greenfield from the University of York was awarded Student Reporter of the Year, and James Tyas was runner up for student critic of the year.

Owen spoke on behalf of Nouse saying, “It is a wonderful thing to see the tireless work of hundreds of student writers and editors go rewarded by this prestigious recognition, and this shortlist spot is as much down to the writing of the occasional dabbler as it is the hours of work put in by Nouse’s team of over 50 editors and deputies.”

The winners of the awards will be announced on 1 December.