Baker Procrastinator: Orange Marmalade Tea Cake

Let off some steam with this zesty twist on the classic tea cake

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

Image: Deborah Lam

Sometimes, the only place for your troubles is the kitchen. The place to come to cook, bake and subsequently eat your worries away (though I do not condone stress eating and you should definitely go for a nice long run as well), solace is often found in the kitchen. Whether you’ve had an awful week or need to take anger towards a living thing out on a non-living thing, baking is a good place to start.

My mother insists that bakes are only successful when made with love, so I put pent up frustration and utter disappointment to the test with a simple orange marmalade tea cake. Go ahead and try this recipe because let’s be honest, baking is cheaper than therapy.

For the cake:

• 170g plain flour
  • 175g softened butter
  • 175g sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • ½ teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons Cointreau (or similar liquor)
  • 75g marmalade
  • Zest from 1 orange

For the icing:

• Icing sugar
  • Orange juice

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 175˚C.
  2. In a small saucepan, add orange juice, Cointreau, marmalade and zest and heat gently like you’re stoking the flames of your anger. Set aside to cool while you make the cake mix.
  3. Violently cream the butter and the sugar together until most of the sugar (or your anger) has dissolved and the mixture is a pale yellow.
  4. Crack the eggs and add them one at a time into the mixture, incorporating after each one and stir in the vanilla (and because vanilla extract is a bit like fairy tears and isn’t very good for venting your frustrations, you may do so fiercely).
  5. Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl with a whisk. You may want to go easy on this step because flour + rage = a huge mess in the kitchen.
  6. Mix the dry ingredients into the mixture until just combined (don’t get over zealous now).
  7. Hopefully by now the therapeutic properties of baking should have calmed you enough to be able to slowly beat in the marmalade mixture until it is fully incorporated.
  8. Grease a pan and pour the batter in, wobbling it slightly to make sure the cake mix reaches the corners and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, testing with a skewer to make sure the cake is completely cooked.
  9. Add orange juice in little increments to powdered sugar for the icing until you get the consistency of a glaze. Pour over the cake when it is slightly warm.