Six of the best for UYWAFC

Six goals of the highest order gave UYWAFC victory in their opening league game

York
6
0
Sheffield Hallam
Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Northern 2B

The Women’s Football Firsts begun life in BUCS Northern 2B in some style with a resounding 6-0 win over Sheffield Hallam Seconds on 22 Acres.

Six sumptuous strikes handed them the three points in their opening fixture, with striker Anty Cole continuing where she left off last season in helping herself to a hat trick. Club President Sophie Jermy, Kayleigh Peters and the outstanding Annie Chambers also got on the scoresheet with impressive efforts.

The home side wasted little time in imposing themselves. Anna Middlemiss’ through ball seemed overhit at first, but the persistence of Kayleigh Peters was rewarded as she nipped in before the hesitant keeper and applied the finish to make it 1-0 after five minutes.

A head injury to Megan Anderton disrupted the flow of the game somewhat, as Hallam begun to grow into the contest and threaten from set-pieces. As has been so often the case of late, Anty Cole struck a fearsome free-kick, out of the blue, from fully 25 yards which the keeper didn’t have a prayer of reaching.

It was 2-0 and this proved the turning point; it was all York from here on in. Sophie Jermy raided down the right, and almost added to the tally but her effort dribbled agonisingly across goal.

Just before half-time it was 3-0. The ball was fed into Cole, dropping in to space off the front, and she turned and cracked a fulminating, low drive that skidded off the surface and nestled into the bottom corner to extend the unassailable lead.

In truth, the visitors lacked the spirit and the quality to mount a challenge to York’s dominance even after half-time. When they lose, they lose heavily and this proved the case once again on Wednesday.

Sophie Jermy’s steepling free-kick found the head of Cole, who headed onto the foot of the far post. Romy Fernandez Reumann, introduced from the bench, pounced on the rebound but could only turn her effort onto the other post.

The Black and Gold would not be frustrated for long. Jermy, who kept her full-back on the rack for the duration, laid one back for Annie Chambers, who had spent her afternoon controlling the tempo of the game. Chambers stepped forward and curled an exquisite first-time, left-footed lob from well outside the box, into the top right.

Club President Jermy got in on the act, turning her marker this way and that and unfurling a drawing effort into the roof of the net, for 5-0. It was six of the best, and a deserved hat-trick for Cole, when she shifted the ball onto her left foot and drove powerfully under the keeper.

On the rare occasions they were tested, the centre-back partnership of captain Alisha Miller and Lauren Waterman held strong and are notably quick off the mark as defenders. Chambers and Middlemiss in the middle of midfield really worked as a pairing, as well.

The team will hope to progress further under their coaches from the All Star Football Academy in Poppleton. Academy Director Christian Fox, who spent nine years at York City as a professional, and Head of Coaching Sam Geveaux are finding their feet with the team and are sure to have a positive impact across the season. They are already most impressed with what little they have seen of the group, without the benefit of a friendly match before this season opener.

The Second team, who the club have high hopes for, stormed to a convincing victory in their game. They beat Leeds 3’s 4-0 with goals from Rosie Hay, Lia Giacomine, Caitlin Hynes and Marie Levorsen.

Sheffield Hallam have managed to stay in Northern 2B by the skins of the teeth over the last few years, finishing fifth, fourth and fifth in recent seasons. The team will face stiffer challenges. In this form, few would bet against this team rising to them, either.

Captain Alisha Miller told Nouse: “We can’t ask for any more than six goals and a clean sheet. We didn’t have a friendly before today so we’re very pleased with this as a start to the season.”

The girls face Sunderland Firsts at home next week.

York (4-2-3-1): Batte; Davies, Waterman, Miller, Ramsbottom; Chambers, Middlemiss; Jermy, Peters, Anderton; Cole

Subs: Fernandez-Reumann, Vassey, McLean 

Player of the Match: Annie Chambers 

1. #UpTheAnty