YUSU sees a record number of course rep nominations

Fresher’s week campaign leads to over 330 nominations

Image: Ceri Oakes

Image: Ceri Oakes

Over 330 nominations have been made for course representatives this year, following a fresher’s week campaign by YUSU academic officer Thomas Ron to make students more aware of their role within departments.
Some departments have seen a dramatic increase in nominations, with nominations for representatives in the History of Art department being three times the number of positions available.
One of the issues that Ron highlighted prior to his campaign was the lack of first years signing up to be course reps due to a widespread lack of awareness regarding their role within departments.
As a result, many positions remained vacant, so departments consequently struggled to consider the voice of the whole student community.
In the 2015/16 cycle, YUSU have seen a record number of first year students nominating themselves, as a result of Ron and the rest of the YUSU team delivering talks in welcome lectures to make students aware of the importance of course reps and the benefits it can bring to students, who gain the opportunity to be influential within their department.
In addition, this year is the only year that YUSU have not had to extend the deadline for nominations to be made due to a lack of interest.
Due to high numbers of applications on Friday morning, the decision was taken to extend the deadline until 5pm the same day, and as a result over 100 additional nominations were received.
As the voting period opens, Ron spoke to Nouse about his hopes for the forthcoming academic year: “I am utterly delighted that we have broken course rep records seeing so many students, particularly first years, stepping up to represent their year.
As a community, we are at our best when we have an active student body and we are off to a flying start. I look forward to working with the new course reps and I hope that we will have a transformative year for the University. Good luck to all those who are running.”
YUSU has also seen an increase in the number of applications for department rep.
Department reps oversee the work of course reps and act as a channel of communication between the student body, YUSU and the University.
There are 28 positions in total, 21 of which remained vacant last year. In contrast, this year, only five departments have not received any nominations for department rep.
Applications for department rep for Economics, Environment, Language and Linguistic Science, Psychology and History of Art will therefore be re-opened on a rolling basis, to allow any students to apply until the positions are filled.
As part of the application, students have to gain 20 signatures from students within the department and attend an interview with YUSU to assess their suitability for the role.
Voting is now open via the YUSU website and closes on Friday 16 October.