URY nominated for national awards

University radio station picks up multiple nominations in the prestigious Student Radio Awards

Image: Alex Light

Image: Alex Light

The University of York Radio (URY) has received six nominations for this year’s Student Radio Awards, improving on their single nomination, and subsequent silver award, last year.
The awards, now in their twentieth year are run by the Student Radio Association and recognise the best in student radio across the country and are supported by BBC Radio 1 and Global.
Big names in national radio can be found on the list of previous victors, including Scott Mills, Simon Mayo, Greg James and Annie Mac.
The nominations for URY include the Best Live Event, Best Technical Achievement and Best Sport Programming.
Rebecca Saw has picked up an individual nomination for Best Newcomer and outgoing URY personality Harry Whittaker has earned two nominations for Best Male Presenter and Best Entertainment Programme.
Success in the Student Radio Awards nominations builds on an already illustrious year for URY. The station also picked up an I Love Student Radio Award for Best Audience Initiative.
The award, won for their Freshers 2014 coverage of Freshers’ Week which saw them undertake eight consecutive outside broadcasts in eight days.
Alex Light, URY Station Manager, told Nouse: “I’m absolutely over the moon! It’s nice to see [that] we’ve had a really good range of nominations and see that four of the six nominations include people that have just joined the station since last year is amazing to see.
“In terms of improvements – we’ve really focused on our membership again, last year was about marketing and exposure.
“This year we focused on growing and developing our members, putting on advanced presenter training and also just pushing ourselves in the scale of events and how much we do them.”