Sports Shorts

Get your campus sport news in bitesize chunks

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

BUCS Begins

The University performed well in its opening BUCS fixtures, which took place last Wednesday. The Men’s Fencing team, promoted to the highest level of student fencing in the country last year, won their first match at Birmingham by 133-125. The Men’s Rugby First XV beat Hull 16-13 on 22 Acres. A well-taken try from Archie Cable and several penalties from centre Matt Barton helped the Black and Gold to what captain Ed Suttle described as a “hard-fought win”.

Morris’ Marathon

Keith Morris, Head of York Sport, ran the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon on Sunday in aid of the Danny Porter Foundation.
He fundraised towards a minimum target of £500 for four very different cases, those of Dan, Poppy, Riley and William, who are all known to Keith in different ways.
In addition, Nouse’s Deputy Business Editor James Humpish completed the marathon for the Jane Tomlinson Appeal and Deputy Photo Editor Rob McConkey also completed the 26 mile race.

Santander scholarship

Applications for this year’s Santander Elite Sports Scholarshps are now open. The award, won in its inaugural year by Steph Clutterbuck and Bobbi Phillips, see the York Sport Union offer a grant of £5,000 to help the two winners achieve their athletic potential. Entry closes on Tuesday 3 November  at midday.