Has the treatment of Ched Evans been unfair?

Image: blogdroed

Image: blogdroed

‘You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.’ Harvey Dent said this so it must be true. Whilst Ched Evans was never really a hero, he was a talented footballer. Signed by Manchester City, loaned to Norwich before ending up at Sheffield UTD where he scored 35 goals in the 2011-12 season. Things were looking up for the Welsh international until he was convicted of rape in 2012 and sentenced to five years in prison.  He has since seen himself become a villain.

The case of Ched Evans is a slightly unique one with unfortunate results for the footballer. For some, it is not enough that he has ‘done his time’ in prison- albeit only half his sentence, they want him to continue to suffer, and have made it practically impossible for the footballer to ever play again. Would the public masses have cried so loud had he had a blue collar job? A butcher? A baker or a candlestick maker? I would put my last quid on the answer being no.

Since his release he has not played football, which before anything else is his bread and butter, it is his job. He was due to begin training with Sheffield utd following his release but this led to several patrons of the club to resign and even the holy Jessica Ennis-Hill to state that if he returned she wanted her name to be removed from one of the stands. This, sponsors threatening leaving and a 150,000 person petition meant that he did not return to the team. Similar results happened when rumours flew about him joining Hartlepool, Grimsby Town and even a Maltese team. Who knew they even played? At Oldham Utd he was rumoured to go back and play for a measly £400, once again a petition arose and this time the charismatic Red Ed gave his two pence on the matter.

There appears to be a glimmer of hope for the sportsman with his rape conviction being sent to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Case Review Commission (CCRC). This is based upon new evidence that was not raised at trial. To this day Evans does not deny having sex with the woman but strongly denies any wrongdoing stating it was consensual. Only time will tell what happens next; with three outcomes possible; he will then have three options. The judges can uphold the conviction, they can simply quash the conviction or they can quash the conviction and order a retrial. The retrial route in unlikely in a case like this when Evans has already served his sentence.

If the conviction is quashed I do hope that all of those who signed the petitions, threw their toys out of their prams and Jessica Ennis send a letter of apology to Ched Evans. I highly doubt they will, and will no doubt continue in their mob ways and will try to stop him playing ever again for a top club. If that does happen then there will only be one option left he could take over from Lineker on the Walkers adverts, at least it will stop the obesity crisis in kids right?

1. A slightly incoherent and incredibly petty-sounding article. You can’t seem to decide if you’re bitter or if you’re making terrible jokes about this whole thing. Who “threw their toys out of their prams” over a convicted rapist being given an international platform? The clubs have a right to refuse his application.

Forgive me for not caring at all about a man reaping the social consequences of raping someone. I honestly couldn’t care less about how he’s ruined his own life. He’s ruined his victim’s too, but nobody seems to remember that when they’re crying about a rapist not being allowed back to play a grossly-overpaid job that would make him an aspirational figure for young boys everywhere.

Report

2. All the revealed “evidence” Ched Evans is using is nothing more than victim blaming, again. Shame on him. Shame on his millionaire farther in law who has paid for this “evidence” and shame on the likes of Don Hale who is continuing to make the victim’s life hell.

The CCRC has just shown that it’s living in the 1970s, where allegations about a rape victim’s lifestyle decides whether she is a worthy victim or not.

Hopefully the court of appeal will throw this straight out.

I’m Welsh but I’ll be disgusted if FAW allow this disgrace of a man anywhere near the team.

Report

• 15 Oct ’15 at 4:19 pm

Raymond Smith

Go to hell Jeff, every single week in every town , in the country on a Friday and Saturday night, what ched did every bloke has done.
      You must be a virgins or something.

Report

• 15 Oct ’15 at 5:14 pm

Ciaran Goggins

Think. If Ched had been a labourer or on the dole would he have been the target? The “victim” had previous form for this sort of think. Rhyl is a small town.

Report

• If the only new evidence Ched Evans has is “Victim Blaming” the CCR would not have referred it back to the appeal court. We do not know what all the new evidence is it has not been made public. For the case to be referred to the appeal court the new evidence must be convincing.
      The CCR only refers about 3.6% of cases it deals with to the appeal court of which 70% are successful.

Report

3. 14 Oct ’15 at 5:52 pm

Ciaran Goggins

The acquittal of Clayton McDonald on the same charge fatally flawed the North Wales Police case (it was they who brought the prosecution, not the woman). The Judge made comments that are central to the CCRC, Hughes not the sharpest tool in the legal box. I attended a conference recently and overheard a CCRC remark, put bluntly the radical feminists are onto a loser.

Report

4. Followed the details of this case as it went through court and was staggered that the judge let it proceed, and then staggered again when the jury found him guilty (mind you, juries have a long history of being stupid – Simpson, Dodd, Gerrard, Redknapp, etc, etc).

And Jessica Ennis should have kept her nose out. Who on Earth does she think she is trying to use her celebrity to ruin his future job prospects – even after he had served his sentence!? You just run around a track lady – butt out!

Report

5. 15 Oct ’15 at 12:11 am

Hilary Turgott

Evans was convicted on very dodgy ground as the “victim” contradicted herself throughout the trial.At first she claimed her drink had been spiked then that she had been drinking an inconsequential amount of alcohol. There was zero empirical proof of intoxication and the two men on trial voluntarily admitted that intercourse had taken place. They cooperated with the police who turned it into a rape trial. When the victim claims that her drink was spiked, then that she was drunk and couldn’t remember – how on earth can it be proven “beyond reasonable doubt” that a rape had taken place?
    There is CCTV footage which shows the lady in full possession of her senses s she exits the taxi and remembers to bend down for her pizza and handbag whilst walking calmly and with perfect balance and poise to the hotel room in huge heels. I couldn’t remember and perform that feat if I was heavily intoxicated. This should have been all that is required to prove” reasonable doubt”.
    The only eye witnesses were the three in the room and all the secondary evidence is contradictory at best. All men should glean from this trial that if a women claims rape or she can’t remember what happened you’re on very shaky ground. “Innocent until proven guilty” could well have been replaced by the reverse in men on women rape cases. For someone who has campaigned my whole on feminist issues, including getting justice for rape victims, cases like this do no credit to the fight for equality.
    I believe Evans will quash the conviction and make a kings ransom in damages when he ‘s finished. We must let him heal and hopefully help him get his career back on track. People should always remember – the accused can always turn out to be the victim. It is less uncommon than you think.

Report

6. Yes Marcia! He is a convicted rapist, end of. An unconscious woman cannot consent. Sex without consent is rape. Anyone condoning Evans is a rape apologist. Go back to your swamps, please!

Report

• 15 Oct ’15 at 7:51 pm

Ciaran Goggins

Contributory negligence. What did the “victim” think that he was asking her into his bedroom for? Bible study? At 4 am?

Report

• Well gosh, maybe she expected him to follow the law and, like, NOT rape her. How naive of her.

I don’t understand??? Rape apologists get so upset when women say they feel at risk around men, and then turn around and expect them to clairvoyantly foresee and prevent men from abusing them.

Report

7. THE MAN IS INNOCENT . NO FORENSICS, NO CLAIM OF RAPE BY THE VICTIM.HONESTY BY MCDONALD AND EVANS WITH REGARD TO CONSENSUAL SEX. IF THEY HAD NOT ADMITTED THE SEX THEN NO CASE. MANY APOLOGIES DUE – CAN YOU HEAR ME CHARLIE (OR ARE YOU STILL ADMIRING MIKE TYSON OOPS A CONVICTED VIOLENT RAPIST), DAVE , PAUL (A PAIR OF HAS BEENS) , AND NOT FORGETTING DEAR SWEET JESSICA – WAKE UP YOUR NAME WAS REMOVED FROM THE STAND, MONEY RULES. AND LETS FACE IT SHEFFIELD UTD NEED TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES, THEY BACKED JESSICA AGAINST CHED BUT WHEN MONEY KNOCKED ON THE DOOR THEY SAID JESSICA WHO!

Report

8. Great to see people feeling they can speak their minds on here without fear of being bullied by the radical feminists and their supporting lynch mob !
    The fact that the CCRC only refer 1 in 30 cases back to the courts suggests the ‘new evidence’ is very significant !

Report

9. The balance is out of sync. As I understand it he had sex with a lady and it was claimed to be rape because she was so drunk cannot remember giving permission for sex, Ched was then convicted of rape. Then you look at Annie Teriba who admits to doing the same thing on multiple occasions to other women despite her being Oxford’s Universities ‘lesbian, gay, bi and transsexual women’s representative’ and yet no charge has been made. There are dual standards when it comes to the sexes but not always in the way most people believe.

Report

10. Feel free to shed beautiful man tears at this but as long as the conviction against Evans stands, he’s a rapist. The conviction rates of rapists are low enough, and the rate of false allegations are low enough, that I’m inclined to believe a victim even if there’s apparently shocking new evidence that somehow proves she consented, when both sides can agree that getting evidence for a rape case is extremely difficult.

Speculate all you like, but the courts say Evans is a rapist, and you can wallow in denial.

Report

• He is indeed a convicted rapist at the moment but could be cleared in a matter of weeks ! If so you will be the one wallowing !
      You are inclined to believe the ‘victim’ even though you haven’t seen the evidence and the ‘victim’ claims to remember nothing ! How daft is that ??

Report

11. False Rape Accusations running at 40%

Report