Derwent confirm title credentials

Derwent Firsts soared to a dominant 10-0 victory over Alcuin Firsts in their opening match of this term’s Premier League

Derwent Firsts
10
0
Alcuin Firsts

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Premier Division

Derwent further confirmed themselves as Premier League favourites with a formidable 10-0 victory over Alcuin Firsts. After what was a rather one sided affair, Derwent will be hoping such performance is a sign of things to come in their bid for a third consecutive title.

Derwent began the brightest with their dynamic front three causing all kinds of problems for the Alcuin defence. A lofted through ball from debutant Dammy Aina found striker Eddie Fotheringham whose effort was deflected wide. From the resultant corner, Rob Nicholson found Derwent captain Tom Shelbourn unmarked and he finished neatly from close range.

Derwent were firmly in the ascendancy and soon doubled their lead through Josh Bew. Nicholson’s corner again caused problems and this time it was Bew who found space, prodding over the line despite Alcuin’s last gasp efforts to clear.

The duo again combined neatly for Derwent’s third which Nicholson expertly finished. The devastating nature of Derwent’s forward play saw Alcuin slump into despondency as they struggled to come to terms with their intelligent movement.

Nicholson was a persistent threat on the left flank, involved once more as he played a neat one two with Sam Weighall before a low cross found Bew who, in turn, struck home for his hat-trick.

There was still time for a fifth before the half way point as Fotheringham struck the post before Aina followed up with a smart finish into the roof of the net.

This dominant pattern of play was set to continue in the second half as Bew, somewhat fortuitously, scored his third. After breaking down the left win, his attempted cross deceived Alcuin goalkeeper Luke Green and soared into the corner of the net.

Eddie Fotheringham was increasingly effective in his central role as he jinxed past some rather tame Alcuin challenges before squaring to the back post for substitute Henry Ferrao to tap into the gaping net.

Soon after, Nicholson’s pace saw him break away from his marker before he centred for Bew to grab his fifth and Derwent’s ninth goal of the game. The thrashing was complete moments later as Bertie Wnek picked out Aina who slotted into the bottom corner of the goal.

Speaking after the game, Derwent captain Tom Shelbourne told Nouse, “It was a professional performance and we didn’t really have to get out of second gear. I was very impressed with our composure. The strikers all got goals while the Freshers who came in played really well. This sends out a message to the rest that we mean business.”

Derwent Firsts (4-3-3): Elvin (GK); Skodje, Shelbourn, Palfreman, Weighall; Curteis, Hawkins Fotheringham; Nicholson, Bew, Aina. Substitutes: Wnek, Ferrao.

Alcuin Firsts (4-3-3): Green (GK); Cull, Turner, Toumazou, Amiyants; Barrie, Nestor, Strong; Sarin, Garn, McLarty. Substitutes: Harget.

Man of the Match: Rob Nicholson