York climbs seventeen places in QS World University Rankings

University of York moves up from 120th to 103rd in QS World University Rankings

Image: Carl Spencer

Image: Carl Spencer

The QS World University Rankings 2015/16 has moved the University of York seventeen places up since its 2014/15 list from 120th to 103rd.

York has also been listed as the 29th best university in the world for the English Language and Literature subject and the 80th best university for its Arts and Humanities faculty. The Arts and Humanities faculty has previously been ranked at 40th in 2013.

An English Language and Literature student said: “I feel extremely proud to be studying a course so highly esteemed on a global level.”

The QS World University Rankings is an annual publication ranking universities by the British educational and careers advice company Quacquarelli Symonds. It began in 2004 in partnership with Times Higher Education (THE).

The ranking is based on various indicators including a global survey of academics, the ratio of students to staff, the number of citations per faculty, a global survey of graduate employers and international faculty and student ratio. York has received high scores of 87.1, 81.1 and 76.1 for international faculty, international students and citations per faculty respectively. The University of York has 15,372 students of which, 3,788 are international students.

York also has 1,485 members of academic faculty staff of which 502 are international.
Therefore, one in four students at the University of York is an international student. Massachusetts Institute of Technology has been ranked as the best university in the world for the fourth year running. Harvard University has been ranked second and Cambridge has been ranked third.

The highest position that the University of York has held is 70th which it was awarded in the 2009/10 QS World Universities Rankings, in which Harvard University came out on top.