University departments undergo talks about new opt-out lecture capture

University departments to potentially have lecturers opt-out instead of opt-in of having lectures recorded

Image: teddy-rised

Image: teddy-rised

More departments are entering talks about moving to an opt-out system of lecture capture. The system, which works on the basis of lecturers having to specifically opt-out of having their lectures recorded rather than opting in, hopes to increase the overall number of lectures recorded and made available to students across campus.

It has already been implemented widely across the Psychology, Biology and Chemistry departments, and has been well received by both students and staff. It is also due to be implemented in the Computer Science and Environment departments this year.

A second year Psychology student, who had all of her lectures recorded last year, spoke to Nouse about the positive impact this had on her studies: “I was able to spend time listening to parts of lectures that I didn’t quite understand or wanted to hear again.
“It was also really useful to catch up if I missed a lecture. I felt like I got value for money in my first year.”

Thomas Ron, Academic Officer, has been working closely with departments over the summer to ensure that they are made fully aware of the benefits that opt-out lecture capture can bring.

Departments that have already agreed to enter talks include: Electronics, Language and Linguistics, Law, Mathematics, Philosophy, Economics, TFTV and Politics. Physics have already agreed to move to the system without the need to hold discussions at their Board of Studies meeting.

Ron spoke to Nouse about the benefits that an opt-out system can bring for students: “Lecture capture is a vital way for students to get the most out of their university experience. Hearing something once is often not enough; having the ability to hear it again ensures that all students can be given the opportunity to learn to their true potential.”

Lecture capture is also recognised as a vital tool for students with access requirements.
Students who currently rely on handheld digital devices will gain access to higher quality recordings and not have to worry about running out of storage space.
The new system also gives students a chance to catch up with their lectures should they be ill and have them stored online to review again prior to exams.

Ron was also keen to emphasise the role that Course Reps and Department Reps can play in helping to improve student experience and encouraged students to apply for these roles: “Course and Department Reps are a major way for students to have a voice and make their departments fit for purpose. They are there to listen to students and ensure that we are in a strong partnership with each department. I urge anyone who is interested to apply for Department Rep or run for Course Rep as it is a rewarding way to get the most out of university.”

Applications for both Course Reps and Department Reps are open now and can be made via the YUSU website.

A third-year Applied Social Science and Social Policy student commented: “I think that this a nice idea because it will be useful for disabled students with hearing impairments, students who have to miss lectures because of  personal circumstances, or students who use lecture notes in their revision.

A third year Biology student told Nouse: “I’m really pleased that the rest of the University are catching up and using the opt-out lecture capture system. I’m also pleased that Thomas Ron has fulfilled one of his election policies and it is encouraging to  see how pro-active he is in pursuing his objectives that he set out at the start of term.”

1. Where is this photo from?!