Catwalk trend report

The 70s are here to stay according to London’s biggest fashion event

The 70s trend, popular this summer, is clearly a style that is here to stay. Classic features of the retro look were seen across the catwalk shows. PPQ designers Percy Parker and Amy Molyneaux gave the trend a twist, interweaving Chinese prints onto their bell-bottom jumpsuits and halterneck blouses.

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

An era famous for more rather than less, the flounced sleeves and countless ruffles add volume to the looks, emphasised by the models’ candy floss hair styles and copious amounts of decadent sparkling jewellery. The stringent colour palette of black, white and electric blue nicely tie the whole collection together, while platform heels complete the evocative look. Similarly visible in Orla Kiely’s collection, lilac pinafores and high neck wallpaper print blouses feature alongside crisp white poplin georgette dresses. Accessories included platformed peep toe shoes and pastel coloured T-Bars while wide headbands tied neatly around low ponytails complete the 1970s ‘poolside imagery’, from which Kiely took her inspiration.

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

The third designer to pay homage to this stylish era was J.JS.Lee. Her collection heavily featured delicate high neck shirts of billowing silk tulle, co-ordinating with matching wide leg trousers. Stripes in candy pinks and whites and parrot greens, reminiscent of a market bazaar, complete the nostalgic look.

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford