World bar billiards champion to attend charity tournament

Billiards charity tournament to take place at the Golden Ball pub

Image: Ben Thorpe

Image: Ben Thorpe

A billiards charity event is to be held at the Golden Ball this weekend in aid of St Leonard’s Hospice.

For a £2 donation attendees can play against David Ingram, the world champion. Whoever gets the highest score against him will win a £50 prize. Curt Driver, England captain, will also be playing games against those attending.

Michael Shallcross, the Golden Ball team captain, is hoping to raise as much money as possible to help those who are treated at the hospice. His friend, Oliver, was treated by St Leonard’s hospice prior to his death the age of 26 from cancer.

Michael told Nouse: “Oliver was a gifted History scholar who spent many happy nights in the Golden Ball playing bar billiards prior to his illness. Consequently, the Golden Ball feels like the perfect venue in which to celebrate the rejuvenation of this great game in York, while making as much money as possible for a charity that relies heavily on public donations to fund its invaluable work.”

It was at the Golden Ball that the York bar billiards league was founded. The league now has eight teams including a University of York team, which plays its home games at the Fulford Arms and is currently in third position on the table.

The charity event will be happening on Saturday 26 September from 2pm-10pm at the Golden Ball pub on Cromwell Road. There will be food and drink at the event.

To get involved in the University’s billiards team email [email protected].

1. I’d class myself as a pttrey good pool player, and also a WordPress user! Most nights of the week I’m playing it here in the UK, and I’m always trying out new things with the script! Just the one slight problem, you’d need to fly me in Matt, as I wouldn’t be in Austin that night! (Sadly!) You’ll need to come over to the UK, and I’ll give you a game or two, maybe more.Guess I qualify for 2 out of the 3 as well! ThanksMark