London Fashion Week SS16: Day Two Summary

Highlights from Saturdays shows

The second day of catwalks and presentations was just as mega as the first. Famous for being an industry that challenges traditions and breaks the rules, many designers chose to host their shows at different venues across central London.  The choice of venue was often based on how well it could both compliment and exude the mood of their new collections.

Orla Kiely

IMG 0846

Image: James Hostford

Taking inspiration from 70’s poolside looks, Orla Kiely’s spring summer collection was displayed artistically on a mini golf course. The clothes contained clashes of colours such as blue and yellow print blouses, lilac pinafores and olive green and pink petal printed jumpsuits.

Faustine Steinmetz

IMG 0922

Image: James Hostford

Based around the idea of sustainable clothing, Steinmetz’s collection heavily featured durable material such as denims, with ivy tucked into the folds of the material. The models were creatively positioned with either a head, hand or upper body poking through the maze like walls of the venue.

Markus Lupfer

IMG 0971

Image: James Hostford

Located in one of the grand 18th Century buildings in Horse Guards Avenue, Lupfer’s collection exuded a sense of luxury. Co-ordinating shirts and trousers were embellished with sparkling clusters of beads and flower shaped sequins in pale pinks and whites.

Judy Wu

IMG 1219

Image: James Hostford

Wu’s collection featured an assortment of earthy coloured, oriental high neck jackets. The outfits had printed map-like designs on, with strong oceanic blues and sandy beige on a cream backdrop of a loose floating shirt or skirt.

Exit 15

IMG 1536

Image: James Hostford

IMG 2208

Image: James Hostford

Set in Freemason’s Hall, Exit 15 featured the work of fashion design students at the Swedish School of Textiles. The colourful, bold and often unique designs of the outfits shows the students confidence in experimenting with materials and shapes which is not often seen amongst more well established designers.

Steven Tai

IMG 2281

Image: James Hostford

The presentation was designed around the concept of a primary school classroom, complete with  chalk board, teacher’s desk and colourful wall displays. The models were sat in rows wearing fun pink and navy check print clothes, accessorized with round gold rimmed glasses to complete the studious look.

Image: Beki Elmer

Image: Beki Elmer

Bringing her Portuguese fashion to the London catwalks, Daniela Baross’ collection exemplified her artistic and experimental nature as a designer. Torn-up denim and minimalist silhouettes reflected a sustainable ethic whilst pristine white backpacks and frumpy flatforms added a more playful element to the show.