Landlord Awards open for nominations

Student tenants are able to celebrate good landlordship through local awards

Image: Good Landlord Awards

Image: Good Landlord Awards

The Good Landlord Awards are to take place in York in November, aimed at celebrating excellent landlordship for student accommodation across the city.

Anyone who is a student renting a property in York is able to nominate their landlord for an award, with the possibility of getting a £20 Amazon voucher for nominating, and the chance to win another £20 voucher for the student who gets the most friends to nominate as well.

Categories in the awards include: Most Responsive Landlord of the Year, Managing Agent of the Year, Landlord of the Year (for either a small or large student property) and Outstanding Service Award.

The winners are to be decided by a panel of housing experts and student representatives, with the final decision being confirmed by a consensus from the judging panel. The decisions will be based not just on the number of votes given to each landlord, but on each individual student experience written about in the comments section of their vote.

Sinead Hammond, Events Organiser, said: “The Good Landlord Awards are primarily a chance for students to thank their landlords and letting agents for all the hard work they have put in over the year to make student life an easy and hassle-free experience. We receive loads of nominations describing landlords who help students out from storing their belongings during moving periods to quickly replacing broken items, buying Christmas presents or simply being easy to get in contact with.

“The awards are also a great way for current students to tell new students which landlords and letting agents to rent with, based on their personal experience. It is a great opportunity for students to give something back to the York community.”

The York RLA and YorProperty are sponsoring some of the awards. The different organisations participating in the awards include York University Students’ Union, York St John’s Students’ Union, York College, Askham Bryan College and the City of York Council, which are all represented by Higher York.

The nominations close on 4 October and the nomination form and category descriptions can be found here. The award ceremony will be taking place on 10 November and any students who would like to attend should email [email protected].

1. take picturesdid you keep any of the lrteets where you asked the landlord to repair the problem? document everythingdid you get hurt when you fell? I would have sent any medical bills to the landlord for their insurance to payare getting assistance in paying your rent ? such as HUD if so contact themtake pictures and check with your local magistrate if you can place your rent into eskrow until he fixes anything that is not up to code or dangerousif he refuses to fix things so that you are safe, perhaps you might think about moving to a place that is safe for you