Music and Performance Societies

Band Society
Band Society aims to help students meet people with similar tastes in music and form new bands. It hires out equipment to members and provides them with practice spaces as well as performance opportunities.

As the name suggests, this society is perfect for students interested in bell ringing, whether you’ve been bell ringing for years or are just looking for a new hobby to pick up while at university. The society rings church bells and hand bells in several different cities and regularly meets up with other university societies.

Big Band
Big Band play a variety of different genres, including swing, jazz and rock’n’roll. Rehearsals take place on Thursday evenings in the Music Department followed by a trip to VBar. The society also holds monthly socials and improvisation workshops. It is planning a tour in Lisbon in the summer.

Brass Band
Brass Band welcome brass and percussion instrument players of all abilities and rehearse every Sunday in the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall. It competes at the National University Brass Band Championships and Whit Friday Marches as well holding at least three concerts a year.

Caledonian Society
Caledonian Society teaches Caledonian dances once a week in James Dining Hall.

Central Hall Musical Society (CHMS)
Central Hall Musical Society is the perfect society for fans of musical theatre. Its main show takes place in Central Hall during Spring Term but it also does several smaller productions and musical showcases throughout the year, as well as holding various socials and workshops. This year, Central Hall Musical Society’s big show is Sweet Charity, but past productions include Witches of Eastwick and Into the Woods. The society’s version of Jesus Christ Superstar won Event of the Year at the 2014 YUSU Awards.

Comedy Society
ComedySoc perform once a week, treating students to a range of sketch shows, panel shows and improv. The society also holds regular workshops to help budding comedians develop their stand-up, improvisation and writing skills.

Concert Band
Concert Band do a concert every term and also play at Woodstock, Vanbrugh’s summer music festival. Earlier this year, the band travelled to Iceland to play at the Harpa Conference Centre. All students who play brass, woodwind or percussion instruments are welcome.

Concert Orchestra
Concert Orchestra are a non-auditioning orchestra who play a wide range of music. They rehearse once a week and perform at least two concerts a year in the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall.

Dance Society
As Dance Society offers classes in ballet, belly dance, tap and street to name just a few, you’re sure to find something that suits you. The society takes part in several inter-university dance competitions throughout the year in places such as Durham and Loughborough. The society also competes in the annual Roses tournament between York and Lancaster.

Dancesport holds weekly ballroom and Latin American dance lessons led by a professional teacher. Dancers of all abilities are welcome and the society also has a competition team.

DJ Society (Breakz)
Breakz is the perfect society for aspiring DJs or students interested in organising their own club nights. The society performs at and holds their own events both on and off-campus. It welcomes all students no matter what their skill level is and describes itself as “a big family of avid music lovers with varied tastes and a passion for events hosting”.

Drama Society
As one of the most active drama societies in the country, DramaSoc puts on eight weekend shows and nine Open Drama Nights (ODNs) a term. ODNs can take on a wide range of forms, including workshops and student written plays. Past weekend shows include Journey’s End, RENT and ‘Allo ‘Allo. DramaSoc’s first production of the 2015/2016 academic year will be The Flick in Week Two.

Gilbert and Sullivan Society
During the course of the academic year, Gilbert and Sullivan Society put on a show that’s cast, rehearsed and performed over two days, their main show in Central Hall and a summer show that can be anything from a cabaret to a student written musical. The society’s production of Princess Ida earned them several awards and nominations at this year’s International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival, including the prizes for Best Male Performer and Best Musical Director.

Glee Singers
Glee Singers is a small student-run choir that performs a wide range of music at various church venues around York. The society aims to hold at least three concerts a year.

Magic Society
Magic Society equips its members with both the technical expertise and performance skills they need to successfully pull off a range of tricks, including hypnotism. If you join the society, you’ll gain access to a well-stocked magic library and get to hear from a wide range of guest speakers.

Music Production Society
Music Production Society is open to students of all abilities. It’s the perfect place to learn more about music production and gain feedback on your work. The society also gives members the chance to collaborate and gain recording experience. It holds regular socials where members can get to know each other.

Music Society
Music Society holds lunchtime concerts, live music nights, trips to see concerts and regular socials among other things. The society also offers its members cheap music lessons, free instrument hire and practice rooms.

Opera Society
As well as producing operas and showcases, Opera Society also hold workshops, screening and trips to Opera North.

Pantomime Society (PantSoc)
PantSoc produce three pantomimes a year. Previous shows include The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Cinderella and Pantomime Redemption. Anyone who auditions is automatically guaranteed a part in one of PantSoc’s shows and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved behind the scenes too.

Pole Exercise Society (YUPE)
YUPE sessions are held twice a week in James Dining Hall and consist of a mixture of pole and floor work designed to improve members’ strength, balance and flexibility. No previous experience is needed to join the society.

Revelation Rock-Gospel Choir
Revelation Rock-Gospel Choir is a non-auditioning choir whose singing repertoire is not just limited to traditional gospel. According to the society, “friendship, fun and smiles” are at the heart of everything they do.

Samba Society
Samba Society aim to spread the fun of Samba both on campus and in the wider community.

Swing Dance Society
Swing Dance Society teaches members dance styles such as the Lindy Hop and the Charleston. Beginners are welcome all year round.