Arts and Cultural Societies

Art Society
The Art Society brings together art-lovers and artists at the university to meet new people, learn new skills, and get creative. As well as weekly drawing sessions, they run professionally taught courses and workshops and hold termly exhibitions. On top of that, they offer socials, gallery trips and many opportunities to work with other societies in an artistic capacity.

Baking Society
Baking Society runs at least 9 themed sessions per term to bake and (we assume) eat lots of baked things. They provide all ingredients and most baking apparatus, so anyone can get involved in either the sessions or ‘Bring your own bake’ events.

Cocktail Society (YUCS)
Dedicated to the mixing and appreciation of cocktails, YUCS runs mixology sessions throughout the term and a number of crawls in York.

Creative Writing Society (York Inklings)
A relaxed space to enjoy writing and meeting other writers of all genres and forms. Each session focuses on a different aspect of writing, with activities, readings and space to work privately on your own writing if you wish. They have just produced their first society anthology and aim to bring in visiting authors in the coming term.

DIY and Crafts Society
DIY and Crafts Society aims to teach members how to make a huge number of crafts and accessories, with courses including home-made skin-care products, needle felt crafts, accessories and snacks from all over the world. They also offer a gift service for those looking to find handmade and personalised gifts.

Fashion Society (FashSoc)
FashSoc aims to bring together all those who want to engage in the world of fashion in an exciting and inclusive environment. Meeting are generally once a week and feature a wide range of events from creative DIY fashion activities to talks and debates on different issues in the fashion world.

Knitting Society (KnitSoc)
For fans of fibre who yearn for yarn, KnitSoc runs weekly evenings where knitters, sewers, crocheters and other crafters come together to work on projects in a relaxed and friendly environment. A good number of experienced members means that beginners are welcome and have plenty of sources of knowledge, tuition and tips.

Make-up Artistry Society
This society explores the professional and fun uses of make-up through numerous events, tutorials featuring external artists and product reviews. Once a year, they hold an annual live show of members’ work.

Movie Society
Movie Society is the place to watch and discuss movies in a relaxed and informal setting. Not only do they organise weekly screenings which are free to members, but also run trips to cinemas and film festivals along with other socials.

Poetry Society
Weekly meetings to share one’s own poetry and that of others are the foundation of Poetry Society, but they also run creative writing sessions and themed discussions. As well as these, they also organise readings and workshops run by local and national poets, and socials for discussion in a more informal setting.

Real Ale Society
Perhaps unsurprisingly, pub crawls are the mainstay of the Real Ale Society, but they’re not limited to that. A number of different events, like games nights and trips to festivals are also organised, and despite the name many members are also big fans of cider, craft beer and spirits.

Sewing Society (SewSoc)
For those wanting to improve or start sewing, SewSoc has them covered with weekly meetings to socialise, work and share tips. Members can also embark on group projects, craft stalls at local markets and sewing themed trips and socials.

Shakespeare and Wine
Shakespeare and Wine is a wonderful opportunity for those who love the Bard and Renaissance art, culture and literature to mingle with like minds. They’re open to everybody, and host events ranging from storytelling nights, improv and games nights to wall walks and feasts as well as having regular screenings and talks with snacks, wine, and great company.

Tea Society (SocieTEA)
The Tea Society meets up once a week to drink tea, eat biscuits, chat, and relax. They run offer tea tasting sessions, quizzes and off-campus games and crawls. On top of that, members get a biscuit discount from YUSU Shop!

Theatregoers Society
York Theatregoers brings together a huge range of people from across the university, united by their love of theatre and performance. Perhaps most importantly, they can offer discounted ticket prices, and run regular trips to theatres in York and beyond. For those looking for less formality, they also run movie nights and socials.

Vegetarian and Vegan Society (VegSoc)
The society for the promotion of vegetarianism and veganism at York, VegSoc runs campaigns involving animal liberation/welfare and food awareness such as Meat Free Mondays and National Vegetarian week, as well as cooking classes and potlucks. Less formally, they aim to bring like-minded people together with socials, film nights and bar crawls.

Wine Appreciation Society (WASY)
WASY is the university’s dedicated wine society. They run tastings, have sizeable discounts with local wine bars and are planning various trips abroad in the coming year. Newcomers are welcome to come and learn about wine in a friendly and fun environment.

World Cinema Society
Once a week, World Cinema Society show a film from around the world, nominated by members. This is often accompanied by some background beforehand, and discussion and debate afterwards. They also run excursions throughout the year, most notably to the Aesthetica Film Festival.