Charity concert to come to campus

University to host concert in aid of sight loss charity

Image: Ching

Image: Ching

Later this month the University will be hosting a music event in aid of the Wilberforce Trust, a sight loss charity based in York.

The concert, called ‘Transcendence’, will include performances from Sarah Dean, Paula Ryan, Cantar Community Choir, Bedlam Boys, Consonance, Barbarellas, David Hammond and Clerkes of All Saints. All acts will perform at least one piece where the composer or lyricist is blind or the song is connected with sight loss. Paula Ryan, from the local group Soundsphere, is writing a piece specifically for the concert, with the current title being ‘Why can’t we see’.

A raffle will take place at the concert with prizes including vouchers for Banks Music and tickets to Opera North.

The Wilberforce Trust, founded in 1833, is York’s oldest charity and since its beginning has been committed to supporting people with visual impairments. The charity has nine supported living houses, a low vision clinic and qualified rehabilitation officers, and also arranges activities for those both with visual impairments and other disabilities.

In York there are approximately 10,000 people with a visual impairment, meaning that the work the Wilberforce Trust does is valued highly within the city and the surrounding area. The charity helps people to make the most of the sight that they have and remain as independent as possible. It is hoped that this concert will help to raise much needed funds to allow their work to continue into the future.

The concert is taking place on 25 September in the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall of the University of York. Tickets are still on sale at a cost of £10, or £8 for concessions. They can be bought from the charity itself (telephone 01904 760037 or online or from Visit York in Museum Street.