The Best Places To Eat On Campus

introduces some of the finest eateries on campus

York’s Campus is far from short of places to eat. Whether it’s breakfast on the go as you race to make that 9am lecture or a chilled out afternoon coffee, here’s a quick guide rundown of the best places to eat on campus.

The Courtyard

1. The Courtyard

Dubbed ‘the flagship bar and restaurant at the University of York’, The Courtyard is THE place to eat on campus. Situated within Derwent College, this L-Shaped bar and restaurant is always buzzing with activity, serving the most amazing burgers and pizzas well into the evening. Oh and they all happen to be INCREDIBLY cheap too.

2. The Glasshouse

The Courtyard’s little brother, The Glasshouse is the hub of activity on Heslington East. Based in the centre of Langwith College it serves everything from breakfast butties to curries with a late night menu served until 10pm. It’s also home to Marmite, the campus-renowned cheesy music night twice a term. You’ll either love it or hate it…

library cafe 505×250

3. The Library Café

Serving Costa Coffee and comfort food in copious quantities, the Library Café is the place to take that mid-essay break. Its colourful décor is a welcome contrast to the monochrome tones of books and computer screens, and with comfy sofas and a lively atmosphere at lunchtime it is a really great study retreat. The staff are also incredibly accommodating when it comes to students with dietary requirements, a lot of their food is homemade on site, so they know exactly what’s gluten free, wheat free, dairy free and vegetarian. Just ask the staff, they are always willing to help!

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

4. The Hub at the Roger Kirk Centre

Located in James College, and close to the Exhibition Centre, The Hub at the Roger Kirk Centre serves Costa Coffee, as well as the biggest range of smoothies and milkshakes ever seen. From ‘nice’ healthy fruit smoothies to ‘naughty’ chocolate indulgences, the Hub caters for everyone. I am also reliably informed that their decadent Belgian waffles are rather good…

5. The Kitchen @ Alcuin

With a ‘shabby chic’ feel, the Kitchen @ Alcuin is the place to go if you’re looking for somewhere to have that stylish afternoon coffee and catch up. It’s one of the slightly more expensive places to eat on campus, but with its range of sandwiches, paninis and jacket potatoes it makes excellent venue for a lunchtime catch-up with friends, and a suitable venue for a stylish Instagram snap of your food, if that’s your thing.

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

6. YUSU Shop

Not exactly somewhere you can sit down and eat, but their meal deal has to be one of the best. For just £3.29, you can grab yourself a sandwich/wrap (including gluten free options), a snack and a drink to eat wherever you want. Whether that be in the middle of a lecture (I wouldn’t recommend the crisps if you intend on doing this), or down by the lake with the ducks, it’s a great if you’re in a hurry or just want the flexibility to be able to eat whenever and wherever.