The Nouse Clubbing Guide 2015

Salvation

If it’s salvation you are looking for, you certainly won’t find it here. Instead you’ll find a sweaty, yet eclectic mix of cowboys, jungle animals, astronauts, life guards, police women – the list is endless! Home to the Wednesday sports socials, Salvation is teaming with numerous sporty BNOCs (Big Name On Campus) and packed with obscure fancy dressers. Current club anthems can be heard pounding across the downstairs dance floor, while upstairs plays host to cheesy classics – think Mambo Number 5, Mr Brightside and Wannabe – again, the list is endless! Additionally, Salvation plays host to Friday’s Koh Samui night, run for students at York St John.

Fibbers: Live Music Venue

Fibbers takes reign over Thursday nights in York. This spacious club has recently started giving students the chance to showcase local talent with live performances occurring between 9-11 pm, prior to the club night. The Bier Keller lives up to its roots, and provides York with a taste of indie-rock tracks. The recent change in ownership at Toft Green has bought the revival of the alternative student night. On most Friday nights, Fibbers is the hive of activity for local DJ’s and student run house, techno, disco, and funk nights. When visiting Fibbers make sure you remember to wear your ‘edgiest’ shirt, or swishiest Nike trainers.

The Duchess

Located in the depths of Stonebow House, this club/live music venue never fails to entice a big crowd.  Home of the ‘Phat’ parties and slim prices, this place is home to York’s most popular Friday night: Phat Fridays. Host to Yeezy’s latest tour, the Duchess does not disappoint. If you enjoy listening to big hip-hop tunes and the best R&B divas around, then this joint is ideal for you. What’s more, being the home of suspiciously cheap vodka mixers, your night at the Duchess is surely destined to end well.

Kuda

The only place to visit on Tooseday is Kuda – that is if you don’t get lost.  Once you’ve learnt to navigate its labyrinth of floors and overcome the constant strobe lighting, you realise that this place is pretty fun after all – if you are a fresher.  Don’t fear if you lose your friends on the dance floor, the overlooking balcony is bound to help your quest to be reunited. The main dance floor entertains the latest club anthems, while the Tiki Bar downstairs prefers a more solid approach to hip-hop. Get a photo in the caravan and the night’s gone pretty well.

Revolution

For those of you who actually enjoy wearing heels, Sunday Revs is the place to call home. This ‘dressed-up’ and ‘fancy’ student night is a must for all budding BNOCs. Ladies fetch your highest heels and favourite dress, and gentlemen grab your blazers and most awkwardly colour chinos while you prepare yourself for a night of tremendous fun. Don’t let the expensive drinks prices, nor the ‘cake’ flavoured shots put you off. After all, you only visit Revs for the free photo shoot – if you didn’t set it as your cover photo, did you really go?

Mansion

Home of York’s underground scene, with student resident nights such as Animaux, Breakz and Black Box, this sweaty joint is highly recommended to those who favour non-mainstream music. Frequent genres include drum & bass, garage, tech-house, trance and trip-hop. This venue is open until 5am, the latest night in York, making it evermore the rival to neighbouring Leeds. Home to up-and-coming DJ’s, this is a must-visit for all beat-boppers.  Past performances include Daniel Avery, Krysko, Hackman and Bodhi.

Willow

What was once described as the place where hopes and dreams were made, and lasting friendships were forged, is sadly no more. Tommy Fong’s legendary home of music cheesier than cheese and surfaces stickier than golden syrup, this establishment is now just a time-old myth. However, not all hope is gone; Willow lives on in Mansion on Wednesday nights and Fibbers Bier Keller on Sundays. Its infamous £1 shots, prawn crackers and t-shirts will be available during the nights DJ Max ‘from Willow’ plays (not in any way affiliated with the original Willow).

1. I just want to mention I am begiennr to weblog and certainly savored this web site. Most likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You certainly have fabulous writings. Thank you for sharing your website.

2. Hi Pauline..My band KNIFE EDGE will be supporting you on 12th October at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds. The gig has been ageanrrd by legendary Leeds promoter John Keenan to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the F-Club that he used to promote back in the day.KNIFE EDGE actually supported Penetration at the F-Club (At Brannigans in Leeds) back in the late 1970 s though I guess u won’t remember it (was a great gig).Anyway, looking forward to supporting u again the place is gonna be rammed so it should be a great nite x