Edinburgh Fringe 2015 Review: NewsRevue

The lauded sketch troupe draw crowds, delivering faultless topical mockery and damaging a few egos along the way. reviews

Image: Pete Smith

Image: Pete Smith

★★★★★

Venue: Pleasance Courtyard

You certainly go into NewsRevue with high expectations, billed as the world’s longest running live comedy show, and peppered with awards such as a Guinness World Record, Fringe First winner and Perrier finalist, it is not one to miss this Fringe.

NewsRevue combines sketches, songs, and musical accompaniment (Bill Bailey has fulfilled this role in past years) with the most interesting news stories of the year to create a fast-paced comedy extravaganza in which no one in the public eye is safe from ridicule and their hilariously timed punchlines.

The hour of the show flies by, without the normal lulls sketch shows often experience as each joke is well timed, well-crafted and well delivered, with the highlight of the show being parody songs in which famous politicians such as Putin and Clegg are mimicked in song form. In fact no political figure is safe from this team, and whilst a considerable part of the show cater towards its Scottish audience, including a sketch in which Nicola Sturgeon plans world domination, UKIP take a battering throughout.

NewsRevue have stormed the Fringe comedy circuit and year after year continue to be the most dependable show for non-stop laughs and fast paced sketches. Not one to miss this Fringe, NewsRevue will never disappoint.