Edinburgh Fringe 2015 Review: Jess Robinson

Comedy with flair and vocal perfection comes courtesy of singer and impersonator, Jess Robinson and her co-star, Kirsty Newton

Image: Steve Ullathorne

Image: Steve Ullathorne

★★★★★

Venue: Pleasance Ace Dome

Jess Robinson debuted solo only last year at the Edinburgh Fringe Fest, but after the success of that she returned this year with more voice, more impressions and even more entertainment.

The show has segments of Robinson talking to the audience and telling humorous stories, with the help of her sidekick on stage, Kirsty Newton. The duo have a great connection on-stage as it is obvious that they are friends off-stage too, and this helps the audience to engage with their personalities and relationship.

It then moves smoothly between these interactions to the use of the Wheels of Sixty-four tunes where Robinson impersonates various female stars in the form of singing, spinning one wheel to see which celebrity she is going to impersonate, and spinning the second wheel to see which song she will sing while being them. The different combinations of voices with different songs makes for an entertaining, interesting and unique show.

Variations included Catherine Jenkins singing Don’t Worry Be Happy, Britney Spears singing Pulp’s Common People, Kate Bush singing Postman Pat and Julie Andrew’s doing an operatic rendition of Meghan Trainor’s All about That Bass.

Robinson’s classical trained vocal style is incredible to hear in itself. Her range in singing style is impressive and her dramatic performance means that you cannot take your eyes off her. The show begins by her going through many different female voices – mainly singers – showing the audience how she can do a convincing impression just through her singing.

Throughout the show she kept returning to an impression of Natalie Cassidy, one that she did without singing, which the audience was hysterical over. More impressions like that would have made the show even better.

The finale of the show was the most touching part, and was a fitting end to such an entertaining and well put together show. Robinson sang a tribute to her Grandpa, Jules Ruben, with a video of the man himself on the screen behind her.

The show truly is a comedic variety of singing, impressions and stand up, brought together in a skilled, fun, and lively way. Even Robinson and Newton do not know what songs will be sung and who will be impersonated, so every night is a different show and each new audience is given a unique and entertaining show.

1. You really found a way to make this whole prescos easier.