Part Time: Environment and Ethics Officers

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Jacob Webb and Tess Parker

What is your role?

“As Environment and Ethics officers we work with a variety of institutions to make the university a more environmentally friendly and ethical place.

“For example, since taking office at the beginning of the summer term last year we have worked with Estates to improve recycling provision on campus, worked with the National Union of Students to improve engagement with student switch-off and worked with YUSU staff to develop a map of recycling points on campus.

What would you like to tell freshers?

“Starting this academic year, we will be running the YUSU Environment and Ethics network meetings which will take place Tuesdays 6pm-7pm. These meetings will involve discussing current environmental and ethical issues, meeting likeminded people and planning for related campaigns.

“During the coming term we will be focusing on the fossil fuels divestment campaign which aims to force the university to move away from investments in fossil fuels and towards more ethical sources. If this interests you, please come along to our first meeting in week 3 to get involved.

“Before that we are running a charity shop crawl on Tuesday week 2 (October 6th) as part of ‘Give it a Go’. If you are interested in discovering the best charity shops York has to offer, please meet us on the day at 1pm outside Nisa. Look forward to seeing you!”

1. 13 Oct ’15 at 4:08 pm

Sajithafarveen

By Jon Hickman September 28, 2010 – 2:53 pmIn the case most of the things are litlte notices that don’t really have a normal outlet we’re shutting early today etc. I’m not sure about QR codes, as I still think they are not readily understood by people (and in this context our students are more likely to be on Twitter than use QR). I’d love to be proven wrong on QR codes. A judicious use of URL shortening and a pen seems simpler though

2. I’m actually raethr enamored with the CEH certification. I don’t have one currently and I’m not even sure if it will end up being my career direction, but I really like the thought of it. The nicest thing is that most of the talent and skills required to do such a job are either there or not, which should quickly make it apparent when preparing for this cert whether one is cut out for it or not.