Full Time: Sabbatical Officers

YUSU Sabbs 15-16

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Ben Leatham – YUSU President

What is your role?

“I’m Ben, your YUSU President! I’m here to represent you, the students, and help you make the most of your time here.”

What is the best part of the job?

“What I love most about my role is engaging with the huge diversity of people at York; one minute I’ll be talking to a student who wants help starting a business and the next, a student who wants to get involved in the LGBTQ Network.”

What would you like to tell freshers?

“My one piece of advice would be to make sure you get involved with something, whether that’s a society, a sports team, a liberation network or your college. University is so much more than just a degree, it’s also about the people you meet and the experiences you have. It’s my job to ensure those experiences are the best they can possibly be.

“If you ever have a question about University life, a query about the Students’ Union or want help with anything university-related, drop me a line at [email protected]

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Scott Dawson – Welfare and Community Officer

What is your role?

“I’m Scott, your Welfare and Community Officer! My role is to represent you to both the University and the wider York community. I work to ensure that you have an awesome time while at York and ensure that you feel included within the student community.

“I deal primarily with issues such as housing and giving information on sexual and mental health. Alongside that I also support our liberation groups such as the LGBT, BME, Disability and Women’s networks!”

What is the best part of the job?

“The best part about the job is helping students with their projects! If any student wants to campaign about anything, from healthier food on campus, more sexual health supplies or mental health awareness I love being able to help their plans become reality!”

What would you like to tell freshers?

“You can contact me whenever you need! Add me on Facebook or contact me via e-mail ([email protected]). I hope you all have an amazing first term and hopefully I’ll get to meet many of you throughout the year!”

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Grace Clarke – York Sport President

What is your role?

“I’m Grace, your York Sport Union President! So if you have any questions, queries, enquiries or requests about sport – I am your girl!

“At York we have 64 university sports clubs as well as 19 college sports and it’s my role, along with the invaluable help of the York Sport Committee, to make sure everyone has the best possible experience, that everything runs effectively and student voices are heard and equally represented with matters regarding sport.”

What is the best part of the job?

“I absolutely LOVE my job and the best part is being able to meet so many new people every day and encourage them to get active and involved in the wonderful opportunities we have here at York!”

What would you like to tell freshers?

“My door is always open, so do come and say hi! You’ll find me in the YUSU office with the other Sabbs! Feel free to add me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter @YorkSportPres, or drop me an email anytime at [email protected]!”

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Chris Wall – Student Activities Officer

What is your role?

“I help support RAG, Volunteering and Societies to be the best they can be. This involves organising training, securing funding and developing extra ways of helping them be the best.”

What is the best part of the job?

“The best part of my job is seeing when any of the groups I help support achieve something amazing. While I can never really claim any credit, it’s so amazing to see all the things you’re all capable of.”

What would you like to tell freshers?

“Freshers should know to come and talk to me about how to get involved in stuff. The thing I would stress is that it’s never too late to get involved in anything at York and if you want to do something take the chance while you can. Check out our ‘give it a go’ programme to see more on how to do this.”

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Thomas Ron – Academic Officer

What is your role?

“Academic Officer is responsible for representing students on their degrees. I am in charge of coordinating course and department reps, ensuring students have adequate representation at each level in their departments.

“I also work with the university to draft our policies on education, ensuring that we as a university are giving students the best education. This involves sitting on many high university committees and subgroups. I also am involved in working with the library and Careers to ensure those services are giving students the best deals.”

What would you like to tell freshers?

“My main priorities this year are getting more lectures recorded and ensuring that there are more materials available online on the VLE. If students are interested in representing their course then please get in touch.”