2015 National Student Survey Results Published

York equals York St John in Student Satisfaction in NSS 2015

Image: Carl Spencer

Image: Carl Spencer

The University of York has been ranked 46th in the UK for student satisfaction in this year’s results of the National Student Survey (NSS), published on Wednesday.

No Russell Group universities feature within the top 10, however the average student satisfaction rate was 86%, which represents a record number of students this year who are satisfied with their degree programs, despite the rise in tuition fees in 2012. Only 7% of students nationally expressed a dissatisfaction or strong dissatisfaction.

In this year’s survey, 88% of York students were satisfied overall, a 2% increase on last year’s result. This placed York well above the national average, and in a place that should hopefully keep York competitive as prospective students begin to apply for the 2016 intake. Other universities with an 88% student satisfaction rate included the University of Birmingham, the University of Southampton and York St John University.

The NSS, open to graduating students from January to April each year, is a chance for students to provide feedback about their course. The results from each university are pooled into one large national survey that allows universities to be directly compared with each other.

The survey asks each student a minimum of 23 questions to assess the quality of teaching, assessment and feedback and the learning resources available.

One of the final questions asks students to rate their overall levels of satisfaction with the quality of their course. The results of this question are frequently being used by institutions to market their courses to prospective students, and the full results are also published by the government on the ‘Unistats’ website, which allows future undergraduates to directly compare university courses.

Thomas Ron, YUSU Academic Officer, spoke to Nouse about the potential for these results to act as a springboard for further improvement in the future:

“The NSS survey has shown some significant progress for the university. The improvement over last year is good to see (especially for departments like TFTV). Yet there is more to do and we must not be complacent. The only way this rise will continue is if the university listens to students and makes the changes that we want, and I will be working with the Senior Management Group to ensure that this happens and we go from strength to strength.”