New Patron of the York Union announced

The Spectator’s Business Editor will take up the role of Patron to The York Union

Martin Vander Weyer, Business Editor and Columnist at The Spectator, has been made the new Patron of the York Union.

Martin Vander Weyer

Image: The University of York

Not only has the journalist written for The Spectator, he also regularly writes for The Daily Telegraph, The Literary Review and other national publications. Having been brought up in Yorkshire, he is a visiting Research Fellow at the University’s York Management School, as well as governor of the Royal Northern College of Music. He is also a trustee of Opera North and Helmsley Arts Centre, and has formerly chaired the Ryedale Music Festival.

Vander Weyer has said: “I am delighted to be associated with the York Union as a Patron, and have been thrilled to watch its development over the past couple of years. Lively public debate and discussion is essential to civilised society — and done well it is also great entertainment. The York Union does it very well indeed.”

The Union, founded in 2013, is a student run organisation that hosts talks, debates and interviews with distinguished individuals. Since its inception, it has had held events with the likes of Lord Robert Winston, Jon Snow, Alastair Campbell, Dominic Grieve, Jonathan Powell and Adam Boulton.

Events for this year that have already been planned by the union include: An interview with Alan Johnson MP, who briefly served as Shadow Chancellor under Ed Miliband and was a Cabinet Minister in the Blair and Brown governments, a panel debate on prostitution and a panel discussion on Labour’s move to the left including Peter Osborne, Associate Editor of The Spectator and Andrea Jenkins MP.

More information about the York Union can be found on their website here, or on their Facebook page here.

The York Union will also be at the Freshers’ Fair where freshers will be able to meet the team, find out about what the society does and how to get involved.