Edinburgh Fringe 2015 Review: Present and Correct

York sketch comedy veterans, Present and Correct spin a comfortable “masterpiece” for this year’s Fringe says Alex Hackitt-anywl

Image: ComedySoc

Image: ComedySoc

★★★★★

Venue: The Space @Surgeons Hall

Comedysoc’s regular sketch show Present and Correct is becoming a bit of a regular hit at the Edinburgh Fringe; wowing audiences yet again. This year the troupe realise they are in fact missing one of their players meaning that they can’t complete their ‘showpiece’. However a special “celebrity” guest is planned to fit the bill and save the show from the brink of collapse. But who is this new cast member? Why is everyone a fan? The wait for this infamous celebrity newcomer has caused tensions amongst the company and competition to prove who is really the ‘biggest fan’.

From the very beginning the sketches are punchy, relevant and entertaining. Present and Correct has stepped up a gear and had audience members almost crying with laughter. In a packed out first show, P and C were at the very top of their game with impeccable comic timing and gags worthy of the highest comic stages. The writing took us on a whirlwind from Harry Potter and product placement through to Noah’s Great Aquarium. Stephen Harper drives the entire show with an incredibly strong performance backed up with an impressive casting. This is a masterpiece of sketch comedy highlighting student writing at its finest. Edgy and exhilarating, P and C bring a whirlwind of funny to the festival and stand up amongst all the comedy here in Edinburgh.

This is fresh talent and so the cast are excellent ambassadors for the quality we have here at York. You can see them until the 29th August at The Space @Surgeons Hall, 10.45am.