YUSU announces 24 hour bus service

First will now be running the 66 bus hourly during the night

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Ben Leatham, YUSU President, has announced that there will be a 24 hour university backed bus service starting from September.

Leatham has spoken about the new service saying: “It has been fantastic to work with the University on improving the transport provision for students. It has been completely collaborative and I look forward to using the service in the future.”

The number 66 will run between campus and the town centre stopping at the York Sport Village, Heslington East, Heslington Hall, York City Centre and York Railway Station. First will be running this hourly service from midnight and going on until 7am.

One student commented: “I think the bus is a good idea! Some people have ended up wandering around town lost so that would probably help.” Another student told Nouse: “It’ll help the freshers as well at all hours.”

The University’s new official transport provider is now First, no longer Unibus. However Unibus will still be running its 44 bus service between campus and town, which will also have a 24 hour service from September, giving more options of night time transport to students.

The 66 will run during the day as well at a frequency of every 6-7 minutes. Your Shop will be selling ‘Yorkey’ cards from 1 August which you can use on the bus and carry 20 trips at a  cost of £17.