Album Review: Lucy Rose – Work It Out

Work It Out is a comfortable though not especially bold follow up, writes

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Considering her last album was three whole years ago, Lucy Rose has come back in full force. With 18 tracks on the deluxe version of Work It Out, it is clear Lucy has been working hard. On first listen, the album does not seem too different from its predecessor, however, delving deeper into the record reveals new layers, making Lucy’s sound even more satisfying than before.

I’ve always found that Lucy Rose never particularly shocks or excites me; she simply provides a wholesome feeling of content. The first few tracks album perfectly demonstrate this. Tracks like ‘Our Eyes’ and ‘Like An Arrow’ were released prior to the album and so are already familiar, although their early release did not expose the little surprises hidden within the rest of the record.

‘Shelter’ is a particular favourite, echoing the likes of Keane and Nerina Pallot. Its waltz-like rhythm and unusual melody showcase Lucy’s new sound perfectly, giving contrast to her typically innocent sound. Similarly, ‘Cover Up’ feels like a combination of Foals, Alt-J and Bombay Bicycle Club (a perfect combination?!). It’s a little “badder” than what Lucy fans may be used to, but it’s most definitely a good tune.

The title track, ‘Work It Out’ also harks back to Lucy’s days with Bombay Bicycle Club. Such obvious influences show Lucy’s attempt to experiment and branch out with her sound. Although the original ‘Lucy Rose’ sound remains, it has been updated and regenerated, with fresh energy being injected into her work.

The tempo of the album is never stagnant: it ebbs and flows in such an organic way that only Lucy knows how to pull off. ‘I Tried’ is a more mellow track, but it still has a good pace, holding your attention and enveloping you.

That is the beauty of Lucy Rose’s sound: it’s layered in such a way that there is something for everyone in almost every song. Although, lyrically, it may often seem light and airy, the bass line usually juxtaposes this and provides drama.

It is such a delight to have some new Lucy to listen to and it is only made better through the album’s variety. Work It Out has an air of confidence about it, as if acknowledging the days of Like I Used To and giving that record a place within the upgraded sound of Lucy Rose. As I said before, this album won’t particularly astound you or shock you. What it will do, however, is most certainly provide a sense of contentment, pleasantly surprising you in places and making you smile in all the others.