University to lead new Digital Creativity Hub

The University is set to become a hub for national research into digital technology

The University will lead a new £18 million Digital Creativity Hub, it has been announced.

The Hub, which will be one of six new multidisciplinary centres across the country, will aim to use the technology of digital games and interactive media to initiate socioeconomic and cultural change, both locally and nationally.

Investment into the project is being made by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and InnovateUK.

Jo Johnson, the Universities and Science Minister, said that the project would “lead the way in developing innovative digital products”, developing “personalised digital health services” and promoting “the use of interactive media in education”.

The Hub, which will largely be working in collaboration with the Government, businesses, the service sector and the general public, will also work alongside several University departments, including Departments of Computer Science and Theatre, Film and Television. Professor Marian Ursu, Co-director of the Digital Creativity Hub and Professor of Interactive Media in the Department of Theatre, Film and Television anticipates that “the partner base will grow to ensure we generate a substantial economic, social and cultural impact”.

The Digital Creativity Hub will work with partners from of a range of different organisations, including the BBC, Revolution Software, and charities such as Dyslexia Action, to create a national community outreach project that will have a positive impact across the country.

The Digital Creativity Hub’s work with the BBC Research and Development department will involve an exploration of digital services online. Innovation will be at the heart of the new Hub, with the BBC keen to work with researchers in York to explore ways in which storytelling can become more interactive and immersive through integration with modern technology.

The Hub is also set to work with the City of York Council in order to create connections with other cities worldwide through York’s UNESCO City of Media Arts designation, bringing benefits to both the University and the city as a whole.
Professor Cowling, co-Director of the Digital Creativity Hub and a member of the Department of Computer Science said that “the potential of digital creativity is enormously exciting”.

More information regarding the new Digital Creativity Hub at the University of York can be found at