Live Review: Ed Sheeran @ Wembley Stadium, London

attends as the global superstar sells out three nights at one of the UK’s biggest and most prestigious spaces

ed sheeran wembley

Rating:  ★★★★★

On Friday night Wembley Stadium was packed with 87,000 people ready to watch one man with a guitar and a loop pedal single-handedly entertain the crowd for two hours.  The expectant audience were not disappointed as Ed Sheeran showed his talent and enthusiasm to put on an exceptional gig in front of such a large crowd.

Sheeran’s journey to Wembley has been incredible to watch. Following the release of his debut studio album + in September 2011 the singer-songwriter has continued to gain more and more success globally with the venues getting bigger and awards being won year on year. For the first of three sold out nights at Wembley Stadium. Sheeran maintained the musical semblance of his shows as he has performed them for years, but adapted his production to suit the larger venue.

Ten big screens were placed on the stage showing the main man himself with different colours and effects depending on the song and mood. Using just these screens without the aid of pyrotechnics, special effects or dancers, the crowd were fully entertained by watching him create the backing tracks and vocals for each of his songs live on stage.

Half way through the gig the audience were treated to a surprise guest appearance on stage in the form of Sir Elton John. Together the two artists sang an upbeat rendition of ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ and Sir Elton played the piano while Sheeran sang ‘Afire Love’ from the album X before he continued his solo performance.

The majority of the songs performed were from X with some of his most famous songs from + being played in between as well including ‘The A Team’, ‘You Need Me, I Don’t Need You’ and ‘Drunk’. Snippets of his own versions of songs such as ‘No Diggity’, ‘Feeling Good’ and a beautiful cover of Stevie Wonder’s ‘I Was Made To Love Her’ were thrown in there too, providing the audience with a wide variety of songs to dance, sway and sing to.

It was clear how much the show was a monumental moment for Sheeran as proof of how far he has come; he told the crowd “I will never forget this”. I am sure most of the audience will agree with him that they will never forget the night one man achieved more than he could have ever dreamed and shared the moment with so many fans for an incredible night of music and entertainment.

1. Good on him :0) He totally deserves it!

2. 13 Jul ’15 at 2:04 pm

Louise cleaver

This guy is one hell of a musician. Absolutely loved it Saturday night. He is incredible, one man and his guitar AMAZING! Gives me goosebumps just talking about it. Love him!!!

3. Perfection. Ed is amazing. Loved this passionate performance with such genuine emotion. What a beautiful moment with members of his family in attendance.