Album Review: Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool

“My Love is Cool perfectly encapsulates the band’s evolution, giving us the same slick riffs and grungy vibes but also more of their haunting, ethereal tracks”

Wolf Alice My Love Is Cool

Rating:  ★★★★★

Wolf Alice has come a long way since the release of ‘Fluffy’ in 2013, their sound simply going from strength to strength and becoming richer in so many ways. Their debut album, My Love is Cool, perfectly encapsulates the band’s evolution, giving us the same slick riffs and grungy vibes but also more of their haunting, ethereal tracks. Having loved Wolf Alice since their early days, listening to this album for the first time feels like all of my Christmases have come at once – and birthdays, and Easters, and even Halloweens. This album is good.

Not all of the tracks on this record are new. ‘Bros’ and ‘Fluffy’ were released over the past couple of years, although it is noticeable that they have been re-recorded for the album. I must admit that I am unsure on the re-recordings; having listened to (and thoroughly enjoyed) the original recordings, the new versions for My Love is Cool are a bit too polished for my liking. The rough-and-ready feel the original recordings had gave character to the tracks and captured the band’s energy so well. These two new versions seem a little too together, and detract from that feeling of rebellion I originally got from listening to both.

Nevertheless, the fact the two have been re-recorded make the band’s progression noticeable, as you can pick up where things have been added or left out. They obviously gave the entire album a lot of thought, including those tracks they had already released. There are still songs on the album that show glimmers of those rough edges they once embraced however -m‘You’re a Germ’ indulges us in their vintage sound.

If I had to pick one track as my favourite on this album, it would almost be like picking a favourite child. Every track has something tantalisingly different to offer, allowing you to immerse yourself in the many sounds of Wolf Alice. One track that particularly stands out to me, however, is ‘Silk’. It’s steady, spooky opening sounds like something The xx would be proud of. The vocals are still very much the band’s own, however the rest of the track seems fresh yet somehow familiar.

Still, like I said, it is almost impossible for me to pick a favourite track on the record. I think it’s impossible because they are all so clever. Yes, they are all different, but they share the same ingenuity both lyrically and instrumentally that makes Wolf Alice one of the most exciting bands around today.

That sounds like a bit of a cliché, but it is so true in this case. The fact the lyrics and the instrumental parts respectively are so strong is a true credit to the band; they complement each other so well and neither is overpowering. To use another cliché, you will find something new every time you listen to a Wolf Alice track.

My Love is Cool is an exemplary debut album – upcoming bands should take note. It is a well thought through record in so many ways and shows off the best of the band with ease. What’s more, a summer album release can only mean one thing: festivals – and a tour. So, if you love this album or this band as much as I do, you should be buying your tickets for one of their shows immediately. You won’t regret it.

1. Great review! Much love for Wolf Alice.