YUSU club nights 2015/16 announced

Next year’s club night lineup has been announced by YUSU with venues staying the same but some new ideas being put into action

Image: York Parties

Image: York Parties

Sam Maguire, YUSU President at the time of the announcement, has released a statement detailing the plans for the YUSU club nights for the next academic year with several changes from the 2014/15 schedule.

The new lineup, which is said to offer “more variety” sees the return of some of the familiar club nights, along with changes to the Thursday night Fibbers event, and the introduction of a student-led Friday event, endorsed by YUSU.

Revolution Sundays, Kuda Tuesdays and Salvation Wednesdays will all keep their current slots in the new lineup.

Thursday nights at Fibbers will be rebranded as ‘Throwback Thursdays’, involving a playlist of “old school anthems”, a new tuck shop, and an indie disco in the Bier Keller.

In addition, on several Thursday nights through the term there will be band nights hosted by Fibbers between 9pm and 11pm in which both student and local bands will have the opportunity to showcase their material.

This new event appears to have been well received by students. A first year Film and Television student commented: “Thursday night sounds a lot better now. The University and York’s music scene aren’t currently that well integrated, so I feel that this new event will help to close that gap, whilst giving local bands crucial time to get their material out there.”

Another addition to the lineup will be a student-led and YUSU endorsed Friday night, introduced in response to student consultations that highlighted a lack of weekend events within the weekly club night calendar. Students can organise the club night at a venue they wish with help from YUSU to run and promote it.

While it is hoped that this will help to bring YUSU and students closer together, some students appear to have their reservations. A first year Psychology student told Nouse: “I’m not sure how it will work. There are other club nights in York which are very popular with students on a Friday night so there’s a lot of competition.”

In his announcement, Maguire also remarked that YUSU will be “expanding the good night out training given to staff involved with the nights” to ensure that staff are fully prepared to deal with issues surrounding sexual harassment in the forthcoming academic year.

1. Why does this even matter if there is no Willow?