York wins Times Higher Education Award

The University’s Development and Alumni Relations Team has been awarded at the national Times Higher Education Awards ceremony for outstanding work

Image: Matt Brown

Image: Matt Brown

The University of York has won an award for Outstanding Development/Alumni Relations Team at the Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards 2015 ( THELMAs).

York’s Development and Alumni Relations Office seeks contributions and support from friends and alumni of the University through their ‘YU initiative’ with things such as YuCall, and aims to create new opportunities for those people who have been involved with the university through YorkSpace, an online community for University of York alumni to interact.

Other institutions nominated in the same category included the University of Kent, University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, London Business School, and Birkbeck, University of London.

In this year’s awards there were sixteen categories with winners from across the country. Among them Newcastle University won an award for Outstanding Leadership and Management Team, along with Outstanding Procurement Team.

The Open University won Digital Innovation of the Year, Outstanding Student Admissions Team was given to the University of Warwick and Outstanding Student Services Team was awarded to Northumbria University. Other categories included Outstanding Estates Team, Outstanding Finance Team and Outstanding Strategic Planning Team.

Attended by Sam Maguire, YUSU President, and Chris Wall, Student Activities Officer, the awards took place at the Grosvenor House Hotel, London on 18 June. The evening was hosted by comedian Jack Whitehall.

Maguire told Nouse: “I am delighted the Development and Alumni office won their award on Thursday, they have been really supportive this year of the student groups trying to raise funds and engage alumni in their work. The awards night itself were awesome and they celebrated all of those in the background who make the universities tick.”

The awards are now in their seventh year and are dedicated to acknowledging the achievements of the various teams that work within higher education institutions across the UK.