E3 2015: Sony

Highlights from Sony’s E3 2015 press conference

Image: Jorge Figueroa

Image: Jorge Figueroa

Sony definitely had the better produced display at E3 this year, but a lot of the titles that were mentioned are still a long way away from release. Here are the highlights.

Sony opened up with something unexpected in the shape of The Last Guardian. The game follows a young boy and a giant eagle/dog (possibly a griffin), as they attempt to escape an abandoned castle, and forge a friendship through the perilous journey ahead of them. The gameplay showed some promising graphics and interesting puzzle solving involving the large animal. The creature showed a great deal of emotional receptiveness with the boy, and if the rumour is true that one of the two die at the end, then this may be a heartbreaker of a game. It looks set to release some time in 2016.

We had another small taste of the much anticipated No Man’s Sky. Whilst there is still currently no release date, we were able to see more of the exploration and the sheer vastness of the procedurally generated universe.

A short cinematic, teasing the new Batman Arkham Knight was shown, and in this we are properly introduced to the Scarecrow and his terrifying hallucinogenic weapon. There has been promise that this instalment will feature a huge open world, and it is always a joy to explore that along with the fantastic free flowing combat that the Arkham series is famous for. The game is set to come out on June 23rd of this year, so definitely one of the more imminent releases.

Breaking away from the usual, the developers of the Killzone series announced their new game Horizon: Zero Dawn, which is set in a “post-post apocalyptic” world where the machines have become the dominant life force on the planet. The player is a member of human tribe, and must discover and understand the situation that the world is now in. It is nice to see a breakaway from the Killzone franchise into something different, and this new title is available in 2016, exclusive to PS4.

Sony aimed to please this year, and they definitely achieved this with the dual announcement that there will be a new Final Fantasy game, and furthermore that fan favourite Final Fantasy VII, is going to be remade. This took a lot of people by surprise, coupled with the news that Shenmue 3 is now finally going to exist through a Kickstarter project, a lot of gamers were made very happy.

There was a small interlude in proceedings as the people at Treyarch came to showcase some gameplay from the upcoming Black Ops III, and to boast about some exclusive map packs for PS4 users.

Sony decided to end with a bang, in the shape of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. Typical to the Uncharted series, Drake and Sully quickly find themselves embroiled in a gun fight in a busy marketplace, this then led to a long escape sequence and car chase, which was packed with action like we have come to expect from Uncharted. It is the most popular exclusive series for Sony and will be available March 2016.