E3 2015: Fallout 4 gets a release date

stays up late to report on Bethesda’s E3 showcase

Image: Midhras on Flickr

Image: Midhras on Flickr

Bethesda used last night’s showcase at the Dolby theatre to parade a variety of new games, most notably the post-apocalyptic role-playing-game Fallout 4. Todd Howard, Game Director at Bethesda Game Studios, talked to audience members and millions of online viewers through a number of new features to be found in the latest Fallout game.

Fallout 4, which was only officially announced earlier this month, will be set in and around Boston, starting just before the outbreak of nuclear war. We were shown footage of the main character moving around his colourful 1950s-style house, interacting with his partner and child. Things soon took a dark turn, as war breaks out and the player must flee his home to the nearest fallout shelter. The game then jumps forward two hundred years, as the player awakens from his vault and steps out into a new and dangerous world.

Howard confirmed that the player will be able to play as either male or female, dispelling fears that Bethesda had removed the ability to play as a woman character in order focus on improving the game’s dialogue. Fears that the graphics would be too similar to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas were also quashed, as Howard flaunted the beautiful visuals of post-apocalyptic Boston on the nex-gen version of Bethesda’s Creation Engine.

It was also revealed that the player will be able to rebuild the environment around them, by using parts collected in the game to build up settlements. These settlements may be equipped with electricity, and must be protected from marauding raiders.

Another key announcement was that the collector’s edition of Fallout 4 would come with a model version of Pib-Boy, Fallout’s answer to the smartwatch. By sliding an iPhone into the model, players will be able use the Pip-Boy as they would in-game, monitoring stats, managing their inventory and so on.

Towards the end of the showcase, Howard dropped a bombshell that few were expecting. While the game’s development was only confirmed a short while ago, Howard revealed that Fallout 4’s release is only a few months away, with the release date set at November 10th 2015.

There’s little doubt that Fallout 4 will be one of the biggest games of the year, and the release date announcement will only increase the excitement surrounding the game. If we learnt anything from last night’s showcase, it is that Bethesda know just how to please their audience.