York Student Think Tank named Society of the Year

The annual YUSU awards took place in Central Hall on Saturday, with York Student Think Tank winning Society of the Year.

Image: Chris Wall

Image: Chris Wall

Maddie Boden, former LGBTQ Officer, was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award.

There were also awards for volunteering projects, campaigns and individuals who have made outstanding contributions to YUSU and student life.

In total, 386 nominations for 188 groups, campaigns and individuals were received, from which 92 were shortlisted and 15 awards presented. Emily Zheng and Heather Kelly were awarded Student Fundraiser of the year for their work raising money for SASH (Safe and Sound Homes).Zheng said: “It has been unbelievably rewarding to raise money for such an amazing local cause”.

She added: “All the money raised goes towards tackling youth homelessness in the surrounding areas. [I] can’t say thank you enough to everyone who dedicated their endless time and effort helping Heather and I in all our fundraising events.”

Harry Whittaker said that he was “thrilled and honoured” to have been awarded the Greg Dyke Award for Student Media for his work with URY. He added that the society “has been [his] best three years ever”.

Other winners included Elisabeth Davies, who was awarded Outstanding Contribution to Student Life and Selina Pope, who was named Academic Representative of the Year.

The award for Best Course Rep  Team went to the Sociology course reps, while TedxUniversityofYork won the award for Best Event.

Sam Maguire, YUSU President,  said that “all nominated were fantastic and should all be congratulated”. Similarly, Chris Wall, Student Activities Officer, said: “Shortlisting was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done because there is always something amazing happening on campus and I wish we could recognise everyone who does stuff.”

According to Maguire, the change of venue to Central Hall was part of the effort by YUSU to “make [the event] a lot bigger than last year … and it looked great”. Wall said it was a “huge coup” to get the venue.

He further added that he is looking forward to working with the new team in order “to do more to make YUSU recognise everything students do”.