York named northern University of the Year

Newcastle University and Lancaster University were also nominated for the Educate North award

The University of York has won the Educate North Award for ‘University of the Year’.

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

The University, which outcompeted the universities of Lancaster and Newcastle for the title, was honoured for its outstanding performance in business, finance, teaching, research, student experience, innovation and economic impact.

The Educate North Awards were run in association with The Telegraph Media Group, which aims to recognise ‘the leading higher education institutes in the North of England’.

They were launched this year in order to celebrate the education sector in the north of England. Dubbed a ‘Northern powerhouse’ by the Government, the award has further solidified the University’s prestigious academic reputation.

At the event held in Manchester, the judges at the inaugural Educate North conference praised the University as “a huge contributor to the economy of Yorkshire, with excellent financials – bringing jobs, investment and growth to the local area”.

Professor Phil Harris, executive director of the Business Research Institute at the University of Chester, said ‘University of the Year’ had been a “very difficult category to judge”, due to the high number of “excellent applications”.

The award, sponsored by businessman and philanthropist John Kennedy CBE, was one of 20 awarded on the night.

Professor Koen Lamberts, Vice-Chancellor of the University of York, said: “We are thrilled to be named Educate North University of the Year. The University of York is a Northern Powerhouse UK university operating on a global stage.

“Our recently published strategy places academic excellence in teaching and research and providing a world-class student experience at the heart of all our endeavours. We believe this award reflects the dedication to excellence of our staff and students.”

The award has added to the numerous accolades already held by the University, including The Sunday Times University of the Year in 2003 and Times Higher Education University of the Year in 2009. Moreover, York holds six Queen’s University Awards and eleven Athena Swan Awards.

Other winners at the Educate North awards included Lancaster University, which won the Commercial Engagement Award, the University of Liverpool, which won the Student Experience Award. and the University of Hull, which won the Academic Co-operation Award.

The University of Chester won awards for Student Union of the Year, Research Project of the Year and Lecturer of the Year.