Album Review: Django Django – Born Under Saturn

Django Django have once again breathed a new lease of life into the art rock scene with Born Under Saturn, writes

03bddd11

Rating: ★★★★☆

Following their critically acclaimed debut in 2012, Django Django have released their innovative second album; the London based four-piece, having established their unique electronic and harmonious sound three years ago, have once again breathed a new lease of life into the art rock scene.

With the multi-layered vocals and fast tracked tempos with off beat electronic injections on  ‘Shake and Tremble’ alone, Born Under Saturn is undoubtedly worth a listen. Clear guitar melodies float effortlessly over the top of the perfectly coordinated vocals, harmoniously fitting with the precise, mechanical atmosphere and tone that Django Django offers. The band introduces a different element to their electronic sound, as they play around with new instruments like the earthy clacking of a washboard on ‘Found You. Nevertheless, Django Django demand a lot from their listener. With frequent melody breaks and tempo changes, Born Under Saturn, despite being extremely captivating, cannot be described as ‘easy listening’ – it stirs you and keeps you on your toes

‘First Light’s persistent electronic pulse intro very closely echoes Glass Candy’s ‘Digital Versicolor’, bringing a taste of the 80s into the mix, with a similar beat being used in’Shot Down’. Perhaps Django Django’s attempt to be ‘art house’ goes too far, and becomes borderline pretentious in style in the ‘First Light’ video, with architectural cityscapes and close ups of sun light glinting off metallic, angled corporate buildings filling the frame, with the band taking a backseat from being featured at all. Conversely, the ‘Beginning to Fade’ video harks back to a more 60s psychedelic feel, with nostalgic colour-filtered images similar to that of Brian Jonestown Massacre filling the screen. Here there’s no sign of any electronic influence, as it is performed with swaying, sleepy lyrics and rich, blurry guitar.

Other than perhaps ‘Beginning to Fade’, Django Django have stuck with their repetitive sounds, raising the question of how much have they developed much since their first album. Perhaps the band haven’t ventured far enough to find new sounds at this early stage and are in need of something a little fresher; they are, however sticking strongly with what they know works and are still declaring a very specific stylistic tone. ‘Vibrations’ displays clearly how Django Django work the best when merging interesting sounds with strong backing beats, rapid direction changes and distinctive vocal parts.

Similarly, ‘Reflections” oscillating consistent electric beat and interweaving of strong, memorable lyrics makes this song irresistible to not want to join in with. Django Django dazzle with their lyrical writings and addictive vibe. It is clear they are passionate and are dedicated to creating underground and groundbreaking sounds that are not being produced anywhere else on the music scene.

1. As you would expect, Emily has written a good piece.
    Teddy