York crowned Kingfisher White Rose Champions

York made the most of Hull’s poor fielding to post an unassailable score and win the Kingfisher White Rose Trophy for a second year, after UYAFC won the 10-over tournament

University of York
Hull University

Sunday saw the second Kingfisher White Rose Trophy Tournament take place, with York lining up against Hull University as York St John were unable to field a competitive team.

Last year’s successful debut saw an exhibition match between the University Men’s Football team and the University Hockey Club. This year, this was extended to a 10/10 tournament between UYAFC, UYRUFC, UYHC and a College Select XI.

The semi-finals took place first, with UYAFC taking on UYRUFC and UYHC facing the College XI. It was the football club who progressed from their semi-final, with Rob Carr starting the day as he meant to go on with a quick-fire 50.

The College XI emerged from their semi-final with the win against UYHC, largely thanks to an impressive opening partnership between Charles El-Nemer and Fred Weld. UYHC weren’t able to chase down the target of 86, slipping to 28-5 off five overs and leaving themselves nothing to do.

This meant UYAFC would take on the College XI in the final. After the cheap dismissal of Weld, El-Nemer was part of a crucial stand with Calum Lennox, the former rotating strike well and the latter given license to play a more expansive game. The two helped their side to 87, which UYAFC’s Ollie Marsh and Rob Carr duly set about chasing.

Within five overs, the pair had powered their way to 54 runs before a mix-up saw Carr run out and Marsh fell to Felix Aylett’s unique bowling style, clipping a simple catch to the Derwent man. Nonetheless, the UYAFC side moved assuredly towards their target, with Andrew Naylor swiping the winning runs through the on side to win the tournament for his side.

The main event followed shortly after, with Hull fielding in the first innings. Alex Lack and Adam McAuley walked to the crease, only to be walking back within two overs. Lack was bowled through the gate first ball, and McAuley was bowling playing across the line of a straight delivery.

Stunned by the early setback, the two new batsmen – Rob Carr and Tim Weston – set about rebuilding their side’s innings. Aided by some abysmal fielding from Hull – both batsmen were dropped multiple times – Carr and Weston did just that, adding 70 in the next eight overs. Such were the frequency of Hull’s drops, the York crowd stopped cheering them.

Somewhat ironically, Weston was sent back to the pavilion thanks to a good catch at long-on having added 28, and provided exemplary support for the standout innings of Carr, who was the next to be caught out.

After a wonderful innings featuring intelligent shots and powerful heaves in equal measure, a rare mistimed shot skewed high into the air and was comfortably caught, leaving Carr six short of his century but leaving his side in a very healthy position.

A late but useful cameo from Calum Lennox, in which his industry and audacity so abundant it was bordering on disrespectful to the bowlers, saw the number five add 28. Rob Dickinson was only given time to add a solitary run to his side’s total before York’s 20 overs were up, with the target set at 159.

After the changeover, Matt Cox opened the bowling and was immediately punished; 10 runs coming from his first over. The same was true for Adam Berryman at the other end, with Hull’s openers punishing anything stray of a good line and length.

However, York’s toil in the field paid off quickly. Berryman chased a ball destined for the boundary and, with the Hull batsman expecting a third run to come easily, threw in a hard, accurate throw to the wicketkeeper, Dickinson, who whipped off the bails to give York the breakthrough.

Hull’s second batsman did not last long, being bowled on off stump by Lack after the first change of bowlers.

York smelled blood, but were stifled by a brief resistance from Hull. Any potential fightback was quelled when Ross Miller got his first wicket of the day. A good line outside off stump tempted the batsman into a drive, which was horribly misjudged and came off the outside edge and straight into the hands of Dickinson.

Wickets were falling quickly, and Lack got his second when another mistimed shot gifted him a simple catch off his own bowling.

The next change of bowler brought with it the next wicket. Callum Rabet, who would go on to claim figures of 3-12, bowled the batsman off his legs. Hull were 69-5 and in trouble of not batting out their overs.

A wicket for Berryman and another run out, this time by McAuley, only served to increase the chance of that happening.

With two overs left, Hull were seven down. Facing Rabet, they had one batsman caught in the deep and one bowled leaving the number 10 and 11 in and Rabet on a hat-trick. Despite all the fielders coming in for his hat-trick ball, Rabet was unable to claim his third in succession and Hull batted out the final over without incident.

York were the victors but 56 runs, their second consummate victory in this match in as many years. With Hull resting in the league above York, the match will serve to give great confidence that York can gain promotion next year.

York XI: Lack, McAuley, Carr, Weston, Lennox, Dickinson (wk), Howe, Rabet, Cox, Miller (C), Berryman

Player of the Match: Rob Carr